Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Medicating my pig, but now she HATES me--will it last?

Cavia Appia

Cavy Slave
Hey, guys,

So, my pig's been through the wringer lately. She has a URI and is getting syringed antibiotics and beneficial probiotics, which she licks off my finger. I am pretty sure she has mites, so I'm treating her for those--and she's HATING it. Really, she's just hating all of this medical treatment.

On top of it all, it must be really uncomfortable to be picked up for medicine time. She squeals and runs every time I even touch her, and she's been biting me when I pick her up. She scratches me when I try to put the syringe in her mouth.

My question is this: will our relationship recover? I just got her less than a week ago, and her first experiences of me have been negative. Will she like me when this is all over and no more medicine is being given? Or will she forever distrust me? Should I not try to hold her after treatment's done, but let her come to me first and climb in my lap/sniff me?

Also, how long does mites treatment take to make it no longer painful for her to be touched?

I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to send some sympathy your way. We've had to force feed Borat for what seems like forever now, and our formerly friendly pig can't stand the sight of us.

I suspect that lots of treats will help your piggy forgive you and decide that you're a provider of good things again.

I think your piggy will come around, Lightning got sick shortly after I got him, and while he still hates me on days I have to clean his anal sac, he's still fond of me when I have veggies in hand!! Now, if he still likes me after I have him neutered next week will be the big question! Keep doing what you can to make your fur babie feel better and in the long run I think she'll thank you for it!! Good luck :)

She seemed to like being wrapped in a small towel tonight for medicine time--it calmed her down and she was easier to hold onto without getting scratched all to shreds while syringing her. She then got veggies on my lap and had a little unscheduled exploring time around my bedroom while I cleaned her habitat. She even walked up to me, sniffed me, and stood up on my foot while my legs were crossed. So, I think we may have a chance together. Who would have thought I'd care so much what a rodent thinks of me? It must be piggie love. <3

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.