Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Maybe I'm not done designing my cage! Tubing!?!

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Nice! Are they easily removable? Looks like it would be difficult to clean the main level?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
It's all removable. They sit on the patios and there is one cable tie holding them up on onside and the other side has a square of velcro. They are large enough for me to reach my arm in and wipe out with a baby wipe or paper towel etc. Both my lofts are completely removable to reach the lower level. It takes about 20-25 minutes for me to completely take it apart and clean it depending on how much I hustle. Everything in my cage is removable, adjustable or modular. I decided to try the tubes in the cage to see how I felt about maintaining them. If I was ok with it I will move the front tube outside the cage and create a tunnel thru the grids using PVC elbows. But I can't do that until my kids are a little older.

I also am thinking of raising the upper level to loft height because it's hard to see them as well with the front tube in. I haven't tried to take the pigs out either so this is still all experimental.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Maybe I misunderstood your question. But I don't see why they'd have to go up and down. I'm talking about the racetrack around the cage not a ramp.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Yes, I understand what you are suggesting. That I should put a T fitting on the ends of the pipes so they have two exits out of the ramps. What I am saying is I don't think it is necessary to do that, they are passing each other and allowing each other thru the openings. It would also be easily blocked if one of the pigs decided to lay in it. But even if I could put in the T sections, they would not fit on the patios since the tubes are 6" wide you would need a 6" PVC T section which would be around 12" or more and most T sections are reduction pipes so one exit would be reduced down to 4". The patio is a 1x2 (which is around 13" wide) so either way it would not fit, one exit would be blocked because it would be almost all the way up gainst walls of the patios.

Maybe I misunderstood your question. But I don't see why they'd have to go up and down. I'm talking about the racetrack around the cage not a ramp.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
That's the misunderstanding. I thought you were referring to the racetrack around the cage. Not to patio :)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
So you mean put extra T sections in the racetrack if it goes around the cage so there are multiple ways in and out. That is a good idea. I was going to use a T section in the back to make it a full track but putting T sections at other points makes good sense especially for cleaning because then I could clean out smaller sections at at time.

I already have the race track inside the cage so it's 2 tubes and 2 patios ( scroll up for the photos ) but in the future I want to bump out just the front so far. When I can move the cage to a different place in the house I could see doing the track outside the cage and adding a couple of exits to it.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks awesome! Those piggies must have a great time running around in their upper racetrack. Your cage pics always inspire me!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Today i woke up to two of the pigs running crazy zoomies all over the cage and using the racetrack to zip around the top. It was so awesome. Thank you to everyone for pushing me to complete the racetrack, they LOVE it. Today I will be sewing up some new cage liners and inserts for the tubes. Lots to do. I already told my husband he has to watch my toddlers for a few hours so I can sew!

Your cage looks awesome! Those piggies must have a great time running around in their upper racetrack. Your cage pics always inspire me!