Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Maybe Fungus infection? Weight loss/balding tummy & hips.

Raisintosser

Cavy Slave
I have 2 pigs, aged 5 living together. Today when feeding them I noticed Meringue looked like she had thinning hair on her side by her back legs. I picked her up and to my surpirse she had bald spots on both back hip areas and across her belly and I could feel her ribs. She was definitely lighter so I weighed her. 1lbs 11oz. Gizmo the other pig is fine, no balding and she is over 2 lbs. I called the emergency vet. I told her all of this and she asked if she was still eating. She is eating and drinking a lot. She said it wasn't an emergency if she is eating and that I would have to make an appointment for Monday because of the holiday. I'm wondering if it could be a fungus infections when I looked online for info. The bald areas are not red or sore looking, just no hair. Her two back paw pads look a bit pinker than normal too. Any ideas before she goes to the vet?

If its fungus is it contageous to humans or other animals (ie dogs) and if so, why doesn't my other pig have any symptoms?
PS Her nipples have always been dark brown/black. Maybe Fungus infection? Weight loss/balding tummy & hips.Maybe Fungus infection? Weight loss/balding tummy & hips.Maybe Fungus infection? Weight loss/balding tummy & hips.

Last edited:
Sorry your having to deal with this on a holiday weekend. I wish I had more experience to help you but somebody should be along soon that has good information. Sending your piggy healing thoughts!

Are those nipples kind of crusty? She could well have ovarian cysts. The hair loss pattern is bilateral, so it probably isn't mites or fungus.

If it is ovarian cysts, the usual treatments are spaying or hormone injections. At her age, I'd definitely investigate the injections. They're not considered a permanent solution, but a spay is a really invasive surgery for a guinea pig, and not to be undertaken lightly at her age.

Thanks bpatters. That does actually sound like what it may be unfortunatley. Keep you posted what the vet says.

Her nipples don't feel "crusty" but they look "lumpy" if that makes sense. I can't get a good close up shot of them because they are so dark. They look like they have extra tiny lumps around the base of them near her skin.

I'm just so thankful that she is eating "like a pig" right now.

I agree, it looks like ovarian cysts. The sooner you get hormone shots the better. She's at the stage where she's in discomfort and losing weight no matter how much she eats. Ovarian cysts can be fatal.

My vet uses cystorelin. I have two older pigs on it. One requires a shot every few weeks, the other only gets one every couple of months. The hair starts growing back pretty quickly if the hormone is working.

@foggycreekcavy
What is the approximate cost of the shots, just so I am aware before going to the vet? I assume the shots are for life? Thanks!

I'm not sure. My vet gives me the injections and I give them to the pigs under the skin. I'll get back to you tomorrow since I am picking up some then.

Thanks foggycreekcavy. We have an appointment in about 3 hours for Meringue.

Just wanted to say good luck at your vet visit. Hope all goes well.

Thanks SpazNMeosMomma

Bpatters and foggy were right. Meringue has an ovarian cyst. Injections are $50 a month for the rest of her life. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I can financially afford it with my fiancé being laid off right now. I will be calling the vet later this week with my decision.

That sounds like a lot more than I pay, and I don't have to give the shots once a month, either. You might want to get a second opinion.

Do you know what hormone injection they want to use? There are a couple of different ones used. My vet uses cystorelin, but there are others. You may want to check on www.guinealynx.info and see the various kinds. Perhaps one will be less expensive.

When I call back I will ask the name if the injections. I asked if I could give the shots myself and the vet seemed very hesitant to do that. She said she would want to do the first few. I have a sister who is a nurse so she could help me do it so I wouldn't have to bring meringue outside in the cold weather. I don't like them to be near drafts nevermind winter weather! I am going to call another vet that is about an hour away and get a second opinion. I don't want her to be suffering. She seems fine eating and drinking. I'm making sure to watch that her sister isn't eating all the food on her.

I picked up my cystorelin today. It was $64 for five 0.04 ml injections.

I picked up my cystorelin today. It was $64 for five 0.04 ml injections.

I tried another vet and the receptionist wouldn't give me a price over the phone for any drugs since she said I would have to come in first (ie them see the pig to get more $)

Will keep looking...

definitely call another vet, they usually will tell you.

I called the original vet back that wants $50 a shot and she said it was called "Lupron" she wanted to give to her. She is going to look into cystorelin for me and get me a price. Fingers crossed!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.