Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions may be getting a new guinea pig!

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
My friend has just got 2 male guinea pigs but they dont get along so she has to get rid of one, i said i would gladly take one! i have 3 other boys too, and 2 get along but sheldon hates the other two, do you think sheldon and my other piggies will be okay with the new piggie who is called bubbles!??

Introduce them in a neutral area and let them get along. As long as none of them stop eating or drinking, and no blood is shed, everything is okay. I think they will like him fine, not sure about Shelden though.

I litterally put my new baby gp in the cage with the elder guinea and they never fought or anything! they are still bests friends months later

Avengedsoph, there's absolutely no way for you or any of us to know whether or not your pigs will get along. You'll just have to try introductions and see. Read Guinea Pigs Social Life and look for the Introductions section about halfway down.

Eustace, you were lucky, and your success is probably largely due to the fact that one was a baby. Older boars often do well with babies -- they're called "nanny boars." But your procedure generally will not work, and will often result in fights, with two pigs that are closer to the same age and especially if they're adolescents.

bpatter, i was only asking what people think and to get their stories.

He could get along with either set or he could get along with neither.

I had a great experience introducing Ben and Eddy Pig, it was love at first sight for them, but when I introduced a third, Sir Robin, he one took up the role of bully and was stressing Ben out and picking fights with Eddy Pig constantly. I ended up having to rehome him after lots and lots of trying new and different things. Good news is he found a wonderful home and I get e-mail updates every now and again from his new owner. =) I do think it was Sir Robin's personality that was not getting along well with Ben or Eddy rather than an issue with three guinea pigs though. I'm hoping to try a third again when I find the right one.

sheldon is in a cage on his own and chunk and darwin share but the new guinea pig bubbles i might just give him a cage, i just hope they get on when they play out together :)

My neutered male and senior male got along from the moment they met. I had my neutered male in with my females but felt bad for my senior who was alone. I didn't want to adopt another male so I put my neutered male in with him. They would come out together for play time but never shared a cage. When I put them in together (cleaned, disinfected cage) it was like no big deal to either of them. I do think my neutered male misses the girls, though. I guess I can't blame him. I think he preferred the hot babes rather than living with grandpa.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.