Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mattress Pad mattress pad

Skippie

Cavy Slave
For those of you who use a mattress pad and fleece, doesn't the urine just set on top of the mattress pad? Or are you mainly using it to make the cage floor softer?

I currently use fleece but am looking for a way to make my cage more efficient. (meaning that I wont have to clean it ALL the time)

I am also looking to switch over to fleece from aspen and I'm looking for something I won't have to clean except for daily poop sweeps and weekly laundry loads. I am not keen on the idea of coroplast at $25/foot, so I was also thinking about the idea of a mattress pad.
Thanks!

The fleece wicks the moisture into the mattress pad which absorbs it. The fleece feels dry but the mattress pad holds the moisture; it doesn't sit on top. 100% cotton mattress pads are better than a cotton/polyester blend since they will hold more moisture. You're not thinking of a waterproof mattress pad protector, are you? You need an absorbent layer under fleece for it to be effective.

I have been using an old blanket I had cut to size. No problems, the fleece stays dry!

I don't see why a mattress pad wouldn't work.

Thank you! Yes, apparently I was thinking of a waterproof protector! I have been looking these up online. (waterbed owner) How often does the mattress pad get washed? Also, I assume the Uhaul furniture pad works just the same way? I have been seeing a lot of talk about those as well.

@pocketmonster ..

$25 a foot for coroplast? I use coroplast and my last 4x6 sheet cost $7.00 Thats cheaper maybe than most but coroplast (corugated plastic) is usually still quite cheap. Have you called around for prices? The shipping online is usually high but lots of sign shops sell it so you can buy it locally instead.

25$ per foot for coroplast? Have you checked everywhere? I got a piece of 52" x 17" for 9$

I also just use fleece for now. Nothing under it, my guineas seem to only pee in their kitchen. I put a small throw rug under their igloos and the fleece seems to stay dry.

Thank you! Yes, apparently I was thinking of a waterproof protector! I have been looking these up online. (waterbed owner) How often does the mattress pad get washed? Also, I assume the Uhaul furniture pad works just the same way? I have been seeing a lot of talk about those as well.

If you buy a 100% cotton mattress pad, they should absorb about the same. I would think that a mattress pad would be a lot more expensive, though. Mattress padding has a woven cotton outer layer so it might hold up better than the uhaul pads. Eiither one would probably be just as effective absorbing urine.

I've heard of $40 per 4x8 sheet of coroplast, but never $25 per foot. Try some other places, and explain that you don't want it for signs, you want it for a guinea pig cage.

A cotton mattress pad will absorb just fine. Back when I was using fleece, I sewed it to mattress pads. I never paid more than $4 for one at a local thrift store.

I went to a local sign shop, and paid $15 for an entire 4 ft x 8 ft sheet of coroplast. If I had been willing to wait 24 hrs, I could have picked any color, too. On line is too expensive withthe shipping, unless you are buying a whole cage.

Sometimes you can find incontinence pads on eBay and they are wonderful for under the fleece, I have several that I use in the "high concentration" areas of poop & pee. I found some at the local SPCA thrift store and then looked them up on eBay and they were very reasonable.

Yep, I've checked everywhere. Apparently coroplast just isn't popular in Eastern NC. No worries though! I was able to find a tarp for 99 CENTS!! Can't beat that! I just clip the fleece to the sides with hair pins or clothes pins, that takes care of poops in the cracks and a nosy baby piggy trying to slip through the grids.
SOOO happy with my tarp find! I also got a bath mat for $1.99 and cut it up to put under their food, hay and water to collect water and pee and to contain-ish hay and poops. Seems to be working pretty well. Baby Harper is excited to not have to do laps around the cage on uncomfortable aspen anymore and Scout popcorned for the first time in ages when I put him on the fleece!

If only my Oliver were here to see it.. :'(

I wanna know where you guys are getting your cloroplast.... we paid $48 for a 3'x4' piece from a local Fast Signs.
@pocketmonster : you should save up and get cloroplast for the long run. You should also have something in between the fleece and that tarp so that it will absorb the urine and keep your piggies dry.

i got mine from a sign store. i explaned that it was for guinea pigs and when he went to go get his white coroplast for his store he picked me up some red for 15 dollars which was how much he originally payed for it.

@triciafb - a plastics company will always be your best bet for coroplast.

@Skippie - I haven't tried mattress pads but the u-haul pads are working fabulously!

@pocketmonster : you should save up and get cloroplast for the long run. You should also have something in between the fleece and that tarp so that it will absorb the urine and keep your piggies dry.

I do.
I have a tarp, then a layer or two of towels, then fleece. Ew, I would never just have fleece and a tarp. That would be so gross.

lol ok i was just making sure :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.