Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Tumor mammary tumor questions

jadzia

Cavy Slave
Just to forewarn: there is a bit of graphicness up ahead....

My elderly piggy has a mammary tumor. Due to her age I decided against surgical removal and to let her live out her life until it causes some sort of issue. My hope had been that old age would get her first.
For the last couple of months the tumor has been growing quite large, but to date she can still get around fine and does not show any signs of pain. If I put my hand under her belly it fill the palm of my hand now, so I know that it probably won't be much longer.

As I said, my plan was to wait until she had a problem before I took her for that final vet trip.
That was before I spoke to my mother yesterday. She had spoken to my aunt earlier in the day. My aunt had an elderly cat with a tumor. She wanted to have it put down when the tumor got large, but her adult kids thew a hissy fit about it, so she let it go. Sunday she woke up to find that the tumor had burst and that some of the cat's organs were coming out. Worst still was that the cat was still alive and trying to walk. As the closest emergency vet was a couple of hours away she ended up calling a neighbor to come over with a gun.

Needless to say, it was a horrible and traumatizing situation. I got off the phone and sobbed over the thought of this happening to my piggy.

My question is: how often does something like this happen?
If something like this could happen, will there be a warning ahead of time? Such as will it open up before this point? Could something like this happen with no warning? Is it possible she could be fine in the morning and I could come home from work and find that this has happened?

I really don't want her to suffer such a horrible death. On the other hand, despite the size of the tumor she doesn't have a care in the world other than how to get more treats out of me. I don't want to take her if something like this is unlikely to happen without any warning. I would like to give her as much time as she wants to hang on for.

Does anyone have advice or knowledge in this area?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.