Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Male/male? female/female? male/female?

K

kellybug

Male/male? female/female? male/female?

My kids and i have found two male gp's we'd love to adopt but we have many choices available to us. I've read a lot of information on gp's in the last few weeks but i'd like to know from someone with personal experience and who truly loves the animals if housing two males together is a wise choice. Is male/female a better combo? female/female? etc. We would have them spayed/neutered as necessary. (i can't remember if you use the same terminology for fixing gp's as for dogs)

Also one of the males does nip alot. Are females less aggressive? Can this tendency to nip be handled with time and patience? Considering we would like to get two gp's we would be willing to accept that one may not be the friendliest little guy in the world. He is so adorable and i doubt anyone else will want him because of this behavior. Although i have children the gp's will be mine so to speak so his nipping will not be a problem for me.

Thanx in advance for any help/suggestions anyone has.
kelly

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Male/male? female/female? male/female?

Yes, I do think females tend to be less aggressive than males are. I would reccomend you housing two females together. They will get along better than two males together.

Some have success with housing males together, but I personally have yet to see two or more males together that don't fight.

K

kellybug

Thanx for the advice. :)

Did some more reading. Didn't realise spaying/neutering could be so risky for gps. Will definately go with a same sex pair.

B

Briana D

I've had successfully housed male/male and male(neutered)/female. I have 4 males in a 2x8 C&C cage. I have another pair of males in a 2x4 and my male/female pair in a 2x4. I've never had any problems.

Also, Teresa has paired many many pigs together and if I remember correctly she's had more problems pairing females together. Besides their personalities a successful introduction of two pigs ultimately comes down to space and how the introduction is performed.

M

miss g pig

I have two males who get along great!!

K

kellybug

Thank you for the responses!! :)

We still would really like to get the little biter gp. We fear no one else will take him and he'll end up being put to sleep. :( :( We're all willing to work to rid him of this trait and if he continues to nip we're willing to accept that too and just give him a good home.

K

kellybug

Well it would seem the little fellow has been adopted cause he's disappeared and no one seems to know if he was transferred or adopted. I guess this frees us up to make a more sensible choice? Could be a good thing. None of the other many guinea pigs i've held ever bit me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.