Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Male/Male Cagemates and Swimming Piggys!

Hansel

Cavy Slave
1) I have done some reading that Piggys like the water. I would like to see if my piggy does but would like some more insight before I put him in. What is a good place to do this? Bathtub? Sink? What temperature should the water be? Do they actually swim? Or are do they like to wade? What is the best way to dry them so they dont catch cold?
2) I currently have one male, and would like to get another pig...I really dont want a female because I dont want babies, and dont want to pay for one to be "fixed" Any advice on two males? Thanks!

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Welcome, Hansel!

I haven't heard of a guinea pig who likes to be bathed, or likes being wet. If they need to be cleaned, it is best to only wash the dirty parts and dry thoroughly. Frequent baths cause their skin and hair to dry out. Also, they can catch URI's very easily, so whenever they are wet it is important to dry them very well and keep them away from chills or breezes. I rub my down with a towel and use the blow dryer on the low setting. I always keep my hand between the blow dryer and the pig to assure it is not too hot. We only bathe them once or twice a year.

If you would like to read some great information about caring for a guinea pig, please see this site: https://guinealynx.com/healthycavy.html

Another male is a fine choice. They can get along together well. I would suggest a young male if your pig is older, or an older male if your pig is younger. The rescue you adopt the pig from will have some information about its personality and how he gets along with other pigs.

However, please double check that your male is really a male. They can be incorrectly sexed sometimes.

Do you have any questions about diet or housing?

Good Luck!

Hansel

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply Ketus! To be honest with you, I dont know much about telling the sex of a piggy. Any websites?

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Hansel, by any chance, do you live in Missouri?

Sorry, it was out of the blue.

Hansel

Cavy Slave
Hi Ruby, I live in Ohio...Sorry!

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
Hansel, what part of Ohio are you in?

Hansel

Cavy Slave
I am from Mentor, Ohio (NorthEast)

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
I'm originally from Parma, OH.

Hansel

Cavy Slave
So Im just wondering, is there anyone on this forum that has a Pig that likes to play in the water?

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
All my guinea pigs despise the water.. I have never known one to actually like water.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Pig's don't really like water. WHen I give mine baths they try to climb up the sides of the bath!

Hansel

Cavy Slave
Its strange...a girl I met had guinea pigs and she said that in the summer they would put water in a kiddy pool and would put her pigs in it. She claimed that they liked it. She suggested that I put my pig in the bathtub and make it so there was water in the front part of the tub and keep the back part dry and see if my pig went to the water. I havent tried this yet. What do you guys think?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
How would she know the pig liked it? I bet you that they were trying to get out by running around, but she thought they were having fun. THey are not water animals. Don't try it. I can assure you that your pigs will not like it

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Ultimately, being wet is not good for guinea pigs. It allows them to get cold easily. Also, it drys their skin and hair. They need the natural oils.

My guinea pigs do not like being wet.

There are plenty of things you can do with your guinea pigs that they will enjoy. You can hide veggies around their cages or floor time areas for them to seek out. You can put hay in a paper bag or a toliet paper roll (make sure to cut the roll long ways so they can not get their heads stuck). You can let them play with non-toxic bird toys.

Check out the toy section of this website for more ideas.

Good luck.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
There's a video of two piggies swimming together on cavy compendium. They're the only ones I know who actually enjoy swimming.
(broken link removed)
(It's very cute)

Phoebe just stands around & looks confused when I give her a bath.

Last edited:

Piglet

Cavy Slave
can you give a link? I want to see

citronsoul

Cavy Slave

Piglet

Cavy Slave
How do you watch it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.