Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Male Guinea Pig

guineapigfairy

Cavy Gazer
Hi! So i’ve been a guinea pig mum for about six months. I started out as a girl wanting a pet for company. I got a boy from pet smart and started with one of those small cages (terrible i know) i only found out like two months after that i couldn’t only have one guinea pig and i also couldn’t keep him in a small cage. (i needed time to save up which is why getting the new cage and friends took a while 🥲) The original plan was to just buy two more boys from petsmart but i actually did research this time and turns out it wouldn’t be safe to keep males that didn’t grow up together in the same cage 😭. So i decided to get him female friends. Pet smart guaranteed me that he was neutered so i didn’t see the problem with this. Now the girls are here and we have a huge cage. I am 100% sure this boy is not neutered with the way he keeps basically “attacking” them and purring and strutting. I didn’t want the girls to get pregnant cause i actually did research and they are over a year old so it wouldn’t be safe (i doubt he has gotten them pregnant already cause neither of them are in heat) anyways i have separated them again after realizing that his need to mate wasn’t reducing. But now that he has been with them for a while he absolutely refuses to be on his own again. For the past six months it’s just been the two of us and he’s been great, no signs of depression and we get along like a house on fire. Now he doesn’t want to do anything , he just wants to be with the girls. I just made this account cause i need advice and google isn’t giving me anything. He has been screaming for the past few hours. I left him in his old small cage right beside the big one with the girls so he wouldn’t be lonely but he’s frantic. chewing on the bars and screaming. (i have already ordered a big cage for him to be alone in so him being in the small cage again is temporary). Thank you so much, id appreciate any advice possible

Okay many things to address here
-humping isn't a mating thing all the time, its also a dominance thing
-that being said never ever trust a petstore that they fixed a pig, don't even trust them that they sexed the pig correctly. You have to double check everything, petstores will lie and they will be wrong. You may have pregnant pigs. You may have all males or all females. There's no telling with a petstore. I had pigs mate on accident (thought it was two boys) and humping didn't last past a few hours. I wouldn't assume what happened was mating.
-males can be together even if they weren't raised together. Pigs who we're raised together can break bonds during puberty, pigs who weren't can have 0 issues whatsoever. You simply have to properly bond them. I'm prettyyyy sure this site has a bonding guide, if not you can find them online.
-unless required pls don't seperate bonded pigs! It can lead to depression and anorexia. The second can kill them in under a day if you're unlucky.

Also mating can happen through cage bars, so keep cages 6 inches apart until you're sure thats not whats happening.

Also important to note neutering does nothing to change dominance behavior. All pigs strut, hump, chatter, ect. Male, female, fixed, unfixed. It doesn't matter.

Actually, I'd move him to another room since he's so upset by the presence of the females. You could have him neutered and reintroduce him to the girls, but you'll have to wait four weeks for it to be safe to put them together.

And, you could have put him with another male. You just have to introduce carefully, and put them in a large enough cage. So another option you have is to get another male pig. But please don't buy one. See if there's a guinea pig rescue near you that will let you bring him for a "meet and greet" so he can pick out his own buddy. And you'll need a cage larger than any they sell at a pet store. Two males need at least 10.5 square feet of space, and more is better. Investigate C&C cages -- https://www.cagetopia.com/ has them, or you can build your own.

How long were the male and females together? Sows come into heat every 14-16 days, and if they were in the same cage longer than that, the sows are almost certainly pregnant.

Okay many things to address here
-humping isn't a mating thing all the time, its also a dominance thing
-that being said never ever trust a petstore that they fixed a pig, don't even trust them that they sexed the pig correctly. You have to double check everything, petstores will lie and they will be wrong. You may have pregnant pigs. You may have all males or all females. There's no telling with a petstore. I had pigs mate on accident (thought it was two boys) and humping didn't last past a few hours. I wouldn't assume what happened was mating.
-males can be together even if they weren't raised together. Pigs who we're raised together can break bonds during puberty, pigs who weren't can have 0 issues whatsoever. You simply have to properly bond them. I'm prettyyyy sure this site has a bonding guide, if not you can find them online.
-unless required pls don't seperate bonded pigs! It can lead to depression and anorexia. The second can kill them in under a day if you're unlucky.
oh no??? i don’t want him to die, he’s still screaming now. but he’s definitely eating i’ve refilled his hay and food several times since separation

Also mating can happen through cage bars, so keep cages 6 inches apart until you're sure thats not whats happening.

Also important to note neutering does nothing to change dominance behavior. All pigs strut, hump, chatter, ect. Male, female, fixed, unfixed. It doesn't matter.
oof. the girls run away from him when he does that and sometimes even like fight back so i’m worried that i’m endangering them severely by leaving him with them

Actually, I'd move him to another room since he's so upset by the presence of the females. You could have him neutered and reintroduce him to the girls, but you'll have to wait four weeks for it to be safe to put them together.

And, you could have put him with another male. You just have to introduce carefully, and put them in a large enough cage. So another option you have is to get another male pig. But please don't buy one. See if there's a guinea pig rescue near you that will let you bring him for a "meet and greet" so he can pick out his own buddy. And you'll need a cage larger than any they sell at a pet store. Two males need at least 10.5 square feet of space, and more is better. Investigate C&C cages -- https://www.cagetopia.com/ has them, or you can build your own.

How long were the male and females together? Sows come into heat every 14-16 days, and if they were in the same cage longer than that, the sows are almost certainly pregnant.
how expensive is neutering? 😭 i read up on it and apparently neutering could kill him 😭 honestly i don’t have a huge problem with the girls getting pregnant i’m just worried the pregnancy could kill them. there’s a chance of the boy dying after the surgery and there’s a chance of the girl dying during pregnancy so at this point i just feel like keeping them separate is probably for the best 😭

The risks of neutering really depend on the experience of the vet doing it, it is much risker than most other animals. However in the hands of an experienced vet the odds are quite good for a successful outcome. If you don't have a vet with a lot of experience neutering guinea pigs then the odds of success go down drastically. However in my opinion the risks of pregnancy are higher then the risks of neutering so if neutering is not an option the only remaining viable option is to keep males and females separate at all times.

You should be able to tell if he is neutered or not by the presence of testicles. Guinea pigs are able to draw their testicles up towards their abdomen when they want to, but you can still feel if they are there or not even if you can't see them hanging.

I do keep males and females but I keep them separate. I don't have any vets near me with enough experience so I do not have my boys neutered (except one who came to me already neutered), as such they do not have any contact with the females in any way shape or form and live in male-male pairs (yes even my neutered boy currently lives with another boy). My girls cage is higher than my boys cages so even if they were to escape their cage they could not climb into the girls cage, another option is to put a lid on the girls cage.

oh no??? i don’t want him to die, he’s still screaming now. but he’s definitely eating i’ve refilled his hay and food several times since separation
In that case he definitely should be okay, maybe a little sad though.
oof. the girls run away from him when he does that and sometimes even like fight back so i’m worried that i’m endangering them severely by leaving him with th
As long as they don't draw blood its safe, however make sure they can't breed before doing any of that ofc. Intentionally breeding can be risky, esp if they're older pigs.

Please take him out immediately. Pregnancy and delivery are very hard on guinea pig sows, and the death rate is high even for pigs in the optimum age. Your sows are past that, and are increased risk of dying themselves.

Additionally, guinea pigs may have genetic diseases that result in blindness, deafness, missing or malformed teeth, immature digestive systems, and if they live, require lifelong, intensive care. They can also inherit a painful, incurable bone disease. If you don't know what you're doing, and you don't, then you may bring one or more litters of pups into the world that will suffer their entire lives.

Your boar is NOT going to die from being separated from these females. But they may die if they get pregnant.

Costs for neutering vary widely in different parts of the country, and even with the same city. Call exotic vets in your area and ask what they charge. Do not use a small animal (dog and cat) vet unless they've had extensive experience in caring for exotic pets. It is very rare for a guinea pig to die from neutering when it's done by a competent vet.

Please do the responsible thing and keep your boar separate from your females, and either neuter him or get him a male buddy, or a spayed female one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.