Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Male and female(s) pair

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
If you have a neutered male in with a female(s), will the male usually always be the dominant pig? Or will a female try to dominate him?

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Each pig different, no matter the sex. I have a neutered male/female pr and the female is the dominant pig for sure. She is a bully and we call her the "Queen G" (her name is Genevieve). She chases the male around and chatters at him all the time.

So you never know who will be the "boss" in a pr.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It does depend on personality, but in my experience the females usually are the dominant ones.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My Trixie is the dominant one out of a neutered male and two females group. Pluto (the male) is the one that is lowest in ranking from what I can tell and see, I think it's just 100% different with each and every pig and their groups.

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Good to know! Thank you both for your input! (My SIL has a very grumpy and dominant female that we adopted a while back and she is trying to find her a friend. She ended up alone right now because we tried to put her with my 4 and she attacked. And mine are a very submissive sow and 3 babies. None of mine fought back thank goodness because I know it could have been ugly. I thought maybe a neutered male would be a good try for her.)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Often females that do not get along with other females do fine with males.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's kind of hard to tell with my two, they are both very laid back and comfortable with each other. I have never had any problems with either of them getting along with the other. I think I would maybe say Penny is the boss, but only because she's much more active and hyper then Sheldon. He's chill and goes with the flow. It really does seem pretty neutral between the two. They each try to be dominant about different things. When they are happy and hyper, Sheldon will get excited and try to mount Penny. He always fails, though. Penny will sometimes try to steal things from Sheldon, but he really doesn't care and she's not mean about it. They both seem very attached to each other. If they are separated for a minute they both start calling for the other. It really does depend on the pigs, though.

Bumble125

Cavy Slave
My male if definitely the dominant one. He rumbles struts at her all the time. She gets mad at him and is very vocal. They don't fight though or anything. And when she goes into heat they are a very "active" couple. My son (7) thinks she is giving him a "piggy back ride". Which in a way I guess she is :)

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
And when she goes into heat they are a very "active" couple. My son (7) thinks she is giving him a "piggy back ride". Which in a way I guess she is :)

Hahaha! That's too funny!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.