Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Making sure that a cavy is right for me,

Caine

Cavy Slave
I'm considering formally adopting a cavy but before I do, I'd like to make sure that the choice I'm making is the right one. I've done tons of research, but a few of my questions still remain unanswered and I was hoping maybe you all could help me with them. :)

The first is in regards to URIs. I live with three heavy smokers and I have four indoor pets, one of which has issues regarding allergies. My rabbit (along with three of the humans in my home, lol) will get the occasional sneeze or watery eyes but it's never been a major health issue. Will the cigarette smoke and pet dander severely increase the risk of URIs, and how would I tell the difference between a URI and allergies in a cavy?

My second question is about a piggie's hearing. I have a very nice stereo system in the room where I'll be keeping the cavy, and the dedicated subwoofer can, and often does, shake the floor when I'm watching television or listening to music. I've considered introducing the piggie to it gradually, but even then, will it cause a significant amount of stress?

The third and final question is in regards to their eyesight. My room is lit primarily by blacklights during the night, and I was wondering if the UV would harm a cavy's eyes?

Thank you very much in advance,
Caine :)

Hello! I guess I will be the first to give my opinion. Note, this is my opinion, and at the end a question, it is what I personally believe, and I am not telling you what you should/shouldn't do.
1. Smoking is bad for everyone's health, even guinea pigs. Can you get an air filter in the room they will be staying in? Open the windows?
2. That sounds like it is too loud, for you and your pets.
3. Why is your room lit up by black lights at night? Very quick research told me that strong long wave UV lights are used in tanning beds and things, but if they aren't that strong and the guinea pigs have houses to hide in and not have to look at the light then I would think that would be okay.
I hoped I help you decide at least a little bit.

Can you possible talk to the smokers about going outside when they do it? That's unfair to the animals as well as you, to be forced to inhale something that is so carcinogenic. Nobody should be forced to breathe that against their will.

Things with heavy bass can affect a person's nervous system, and I can imagine it would even be even worse for a small animal.

Can you switch the light bulbs? Blacklights went out of style a long time ago, anyways. :p

One of the reasons guinea pigs were the animal of choice for medical testing is due to their sensitivity to irritants. It would be detrimental to their health to expose them to heavy cigarette smoke. I think the loud bass would cause them unnecessary stress.

Hello! I guess I will be the first to give my opinion. Note, this is my opinion, and at the end a question, it is what I personally believe, and I am not telling you what you should/shouldn't do.
1. Smoking is bad for everyone's health, even guinea pigs. Can you get an air filter in the room they will be staying in? Open the windows?
2. That sounds like it is too loud, for you and your pets.
3. Why is your room lit up by black lights at night? Very quick research told me that strong long wave UV lights are used in tanning beds and things, but if they aren't that strong and the guinea pigs have houses to hide in and not have to look at the light then I would think that would be okay.
I hoped I help you decide at least a little bit.

I 100% agree. I am ashamed to admit I do smoke, but I smoke outside. There is absolutely no smoking in my house or car if pets and or kid is in the car.

If you can not filter the air in your room or keep the windows open all the time I would suggest not bringing pets into that environment. it sucks, I know, but it is not fair to have anyone around smoke that is not a smoker themselves; and this is coming from a smoker.

I also smoke, but never in my apartment. I'll step out onto the balcony and shut the door behind me, and when I'm done I wash my hands before handling the pigs. I have no idea about their allergies though...I just know I'm allergic to my pigs, but I still play with them with a little Benadryl. lol

As for the noise, a little floor rumbling isn't necessarily too loud. Sound is vibration any way you slice it; it's just that low frequencies tend to be "felt" more obviously than high ones. My pigs don't seem to mind my 2.1 speaker setup, and they actually seem to enjoy some music. To be safe, you might want to keep it a little quieter than you're used to.

As for black lights, I have no idea. I can't imagine it would cause any harm, but again, I'm no expert.

Thank you very much for the replies, guys. :) It's certainly helped me reach a decision, and I think with a few alterations in my room, my future piggie will be more than happy to be with me.

A few people have pigs in their bedrooms, but the noise of the water bottle, and all night wheeking is very disturbing to some. Just a consideration...

You'd also need a pretty high quality air purifier. Closing the door isn't enough, though a common misconception.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.