Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Making My Liners-- Questions

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!

Well, about 4 days ago I created 3 litter box liners for my girls' cage. They love them! I made them with U-Haul pad (2 layers, middle) and Fleece (Top, bottom)

So, I decided to get more material and create 4 liners, 2 for each: my cage and playpen.

OK, well here is my story:

We were running around to different stores today. We went to Joann's and got everything (I thought) we needed for the liners. Well, as I thought more, I realized that I needed something on top and bottom of the U-Haul pad otherwise it shreds when washed. SOOO...... We got more Fleece for the bottom. Success!

However: The more I thought, I realized that if I wanted to make 2 liners for each, I would need MORE material! Oops. So, for now, I am gonna stick with 1 liner for the cage and playpen each for right now. I will add another later. Who knows, maybe I won't like liners as much as I thought I would and then I would have time to switch back to normal. Most likely not, though.

Now, my questions!

1: How should I layer? I am going to layer Fleece, U-Haul pad, Fleece. Is this OK? Opinions please.

2: Wow. I can't believe how I messed up on the liners as far as the amount of materials I needed........ Can somebody please tell me I am not the only one who has hit SOME bump in the road of creating a liner? :D

3: Should I hand sew, or use a machine? I would rather hand sew, as I am less experienced than using a machine. I will also have family to help me. Dual-sewing, haha.

4: Overall experience with liners? Do I need more than 1 layer of pad? I haven't been told so, so far at least. I used towels before, so I used Fleece on top and 2 towels underneath. So, is using Fleece, U-Haul, Fleece, gonna work for me?

__

THANKS EVERYONE! Surprisingly, while being a hassle, this has actually been quite fun today!

Bump. Anybody?

yep me!!!! i actually Haag all my fleecE already precut so when i bought the pads i totally forgot that i needed at least and inch or 2 to secure pad.soooooooo i h:melodramaad to sew back on all the fleece i once cut off for the kitchen area to the original fleece. yep..... smh lol

You probably want 2 liners. I just started using fleece and only have one liner for each of my piggies and I have nothing to replace the dirty ones with...

I was told 2 layers of Uhaul pad under the fleece, so that's what I did. I used an old bedsheet (Salvation Army) to enclose the Uhaul pads, since fleece is more expensive, and no one is going to see the sheet/Uhaul pad anyway. I used sheet/2 layers of Uhaul pad/sheet. My Uhaul pad got bunched up inside a little, but by hand stretching a little, I got it worked out. Then I just took needle and thread and went from top to bottom to top (straight up and down) and tied a knot. There! Quilted to hold the Uhaul pad from bunching! I think sewing by machine is much better-the stitches are tighter to hold everything together when it goes through the washer. I'm not a great sewer, either, but I love my machine, and the pads are perfect to practice on!

Your layering - with fleece on top and on the bottom, just means you now have reversible liners. (I'm kinda jealous, maybe my next project...LOL) Otherwise, to saw a few bucks, just use an old sheet on the bottom.

I forgot to say, I lay my fleece on top of the pad, and it goes up, over, and down the outside of the coroplast.

I was told 2 layers of Uhaul pad under the fleece, so that's what I did. I used an old bedsheet (Salvation Army) to enclose the Uhaul pads, since fleece is more expensive, and no one is going to see the sheet/Uhaul pad anyway. I used sheet/2 layers of Uhaul pad/sheet. My Uhaul pad got bunched up inside a little, but by hand stretching a little, I got it worked out. Then I just took needle and thread and went from top to bottom to top (straight up and down) and tied a knot. There! Quilted to hold the Uhaul pad from bunching! I think sewing by machine is much better-the stitches are tighter to hold everything together when it goes through the washer. I'm not a great sewer, either, but I love my machine, and the pads are perfect to practice on!

Your layering - with fleece on top and on the bottom, just means you now have reversible liners. (I'm kinda jealous, maybe my next project...LOL) Otherwise, to saw a few bucks, just use an old sheet on the bottom.

I forgot to say, I lay my fleece on top of the pad, and it goes up, over, and down the outside of the coroplast.

I am reviving this thread.

I hope I didn't screw up with using only 1 sheet of U-Haul pad. Also, is it really reversible if I used to same color on the bottom? It would basically be the same thing....... ALSO: I got Anti-Pill fleece, is that the same if washed and dried 3 times?

@schvarry

Meh, I have a cage and playpen connected, so I get the playpen cleaned and shoo my girls down there while I do their cage. I will make another liner sometime, but no need for it soon.

Also, I need some help. For some spots on my liners, the fleece feels...... Well, it doesn't feel wet, like soaked, but you can tell it is damp underneath. Is this OK? Mainly for my Litter Boxes, but........

I'm in the middle of a bumble foot issue with a foster. The instant you feel the fleece is wet underneath, I'd change it. It's not worth the risk of infection on their little feet.

If you're going to put fleece on the top, and fleece on the bottom, I'd use 2 different patterns. Then you can wash it, and flip it over to the other side when you put it back in the cage for a change. Any fleece is fine, anti-pill, blizzard, whatever. The Uhaul pad should be doubled, i think, if you want the liner to last for a week. 1 layer would mean you have to chang eit more often, since it's not as absorbent.

I'm in the middle of a bumble foot issue with a foster. The instant you feel the fleece is wet underneath, I'd change it. It's not worth the risk of infection on their little feet.

If you're going to put fleece on the top, and fleece on the bottom, I'd use 2 different patterns. Then you can wash it, and flip it over to the other side when you put it back in the cage for a change. Any fleece is fine, anti-pill, blizzard, whatever. The Uhaul pad should be doubled, i think, if you want the liner to last for a week. 1 layer would mean you have to chang eit more often, since it's not as absorbent.

I heard that 2 layers of Padding doesn't dry as well, so I think I am going to sit with what I have.

ALSO: I tried drying their litter liners halfway through the week. It worked, not taking away the smell fully of course, but would this work? I can do a load of Piggy pads each Wednesday.

I am cleaning their cage tomorrow, so I will see how wet that the Liners got.

I tried drying their litter liners halfway through the week. It worked, not taking away the smell fully of course, but would this work? I can do a load of Piggy pads each Wednesday./QUOTE]

I have no idea if that would work. Anyone? Opinions?

I tried drying their litter liners halfway through the week. It worked, not taking away the smell fully of course, but would this work? I can do a load of Piggy pads each Wednesday.

I have no idea if that would work. Anyone? Opinions?

If you wash and dry them it might help, just throwing a litter liner in the dryer doesn't seem like it would make it any better though...

I use only one layer of uhaul with two boars and haven't noticed any leakage/wet spots and change only once a week. My guys don't really seem to have a preferred place to sleep and will lay all over the cage, so maybe that is why. Another suggestion is you can make tidy pads (basically a mini liner) and put that under the spots that are getting soaked the quickest, and then just replace those more often than the whole cage. I do that under my water bottle on the bottom level, as Arlo likes to play with that bottle for some reason and it gets everywhere!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.