Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

making hay racks and ramps

Jaclyn

Cavy Slave
I made my C&C cage and I am going to make a loft with a ramp. What are you guys using to make ramps? What works best? Do you just use C&C and line with fleece? I tried looking a pics but it is hard to see, and I am not sure what people thought of each pics or idea.

How about making a hay rack? Does the plastic one on the outside of the C&C still work? I have it there for now, but I am not sure that she is able to access it as easily anymore.

I use bent grid for ramp and also for hay rack. I've also made a hay rack from coroplast and cardboard boxes.

Here's an instruction on how to make a bent grid ramp. (click on the pic)

If you don't like to make a tunnel under the ramp, you can just use zip tie to connect the bent grids together. Line the grid with coroplast and something for traction.

My coroplast hay rack:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/accessories/54271-coroplast-hay-rack-instructions.html

You can also use a small kitten litter box as a hay bin. I use a bent grid rack and a hay bin in my cage because my pigs like to lay/eat/play/anything in their hay, which is more safely done in a hay bin.

i use a tumbler that i got from dr fosters and smith. It came free with the hay

I use a hanging suet basket for my hay that I got at Lowes for about $3.

It's like this one

(broken link removed)

Thanks everyone. Lissie, me and my hubby did a downgraded version of your coroplast rack, and it is working perfectly! Thanks again. Do your pigs end up eating the tape? So far mine has not, but I just wonder if it is only a matter of time?

Ok silly question. Lissie, I made the hay rack you suggested and today she has decided that she should hide in it!!! She climbs right into the bottom holes. Do yours do this to? Is it a problem?

Thanks everyone. Lissie, me and my hubby did a downgraded version of your coroplast rack, and it is working perfectly! Thanks again. Do your pigs end up eating the tape? So far mine has not, but I just wonder if it is only a matter of time?

Sorry for the late response. I've been away for the whole week. My pigs would eat the tape if they could reach it. Most of the tapes are on the sides and they don't really bother with it.

Ok silly question. Lissie, I made the hay rack you suggested and today she has decided that she should hide in it!!! She climbs right into the bottom holes. Do yours do this to? Is it a problem?

Mine don't climb in the one I made the instructions for. But they do climb into the versions before that. I noticed if the opening is too big, they will climb in. The opening in the instruction is only 2x3 inches. My boys are way too fat to get in.

My openings are they same size as yours but she is small enough to get in! She's just a wee thing though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.