Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lunchtime for my girls

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
No, not GPs. Lunchtime for my turtles.

These turtles and my pond fish were the only animals I left behind when I evacuated. While all of my pond fish died from the debris in their ponds rotting and turning the water toxic my turtles did very well and I was very happy to come home and find them safe and secure.

I left my turtles behind because I didn't want to risk their lives by trying to transport them. I weighed the odds and felt that they stood a better chance in their enclosure then traveling in the crowded van to destinations unknown.

They have an outdoor enclosure with their own pond, well stocked with plants and fish (the only fish that survived were in the turtles' pond). There is a compost heap in there that the Box turtles find bugs and worms in to eat and plenty of secure, safe areas. While I do feed my turtles there is enough natural food in there for them to survive for a year, maybe more.

Well, they are all doing great and we are all back into our normal swing. They come when I call them and are eating like crazy.

This is Sara and Rose (Sara is in the foreground). They are Southern box turtles. Sara was given to me by a lady who rescues turtles that have been injured by cars, lawnmowers, etc. She couldn't remember what was wrong with Sara as she is totally healed but had been in her custody for so long that she could not be released back into the wild. Rose was found by a child in my homeschool group wandering around in an inner city park. Obviously either an owner abandonment or an escape as this park could not support or secure a turtle. Sara is older and almost twice as big (8" long) as my tiny Rose (5" long). While I have no idea how old they are they are both females.

Mmmmm We got an extra treat of watermelon today!
sararose.jpg

Bob was mistakenly named by an exfriend of mine as Bob is a female. Bob was kept in a 10 gallon aquarium, was fed crappy food along with Reptomin and despite the crappy diet soon outgrew her small tank (as turtles will). I finally convinced the owners to build her a large pond and enclosure outside so she could live more naturally. While they were building it I said I would watch Bob. When I took Bob in she was about 6-7" long.

Nearly 4 years later the pond is still not complete (although last year they did dig the hole for it) and Bob is still with me. I think I can now consider her a keeper and not a foster. With a good diet Bob is now 10-11" long.

Reaching onto her partially sumberged feeding and basking stone to get her lunch.
16912271857.jpg

And while not turtles here is a picture of my new Pond fish eating from my hand. I finally have them tame enough to come and be pet. The big whitish one eating from my fingers in the picture is one of my Koi Albert. By my knuckle you can see the black/white/orange of another one of my Koi. Benjamin. By my wrist you can see a very large Goldfish (6"long) that managed to survive in my daughter's fishtank for a month after the storm. When we went in October to see the house I got the pond cleaned enough that I moved him into the pond and out of the aquarium. He managed to survive all alone in there for 3 more months and now is fat and happy with all his friends.
16912261858.jpg

Last edited:

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I'm glad your turtles survived and you're back with them! They look very sweet. It's wonderful to see pictures of goldfish kept in a pond and happy.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
That's awesome! We just put in a pond, with four big goldfish and one big white koi. There's also some bullfrog tadpoles. I want a turtle though. Yours are so pretty! I'm glad they're doing well.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
VJ, those pictures of your turtles and fish are absolutely FABULOUS! I'm working on convincing my father to help me dig a pond in our yard, but that will have to wait until after he finishes recovering from his eye surgery. I'm so jealous of your turtles too. I haven't had one since I was quite young (about 6 I think). I made my mother stop in the middle of a VERY busy street when she was taking me to summer camp, so I could rescue a box turtle before he got hit. Luckily, we had a really cool nature person who had a big pond and enclosure built. The last time I saw "my" turtle, he had almost tripled in size, and I was about 10.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
I can only see the pic of the turts with watermelon.

We have three that come up to our house from the bayou when it rains. Last time one was by our back door, and the other was under hubby's car. I brought some watermelon slices out to them and got to hand-feed them. They loved it, and of course so did I hehe.

Susan_
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
VJ what wonderful pictures. I think the turtles are great and that goldfish is something else. What a story about the turtles and the one fish making through the storm.

Charlie's_mamma

Cavy Slave
Wow Voodo I didn't know you lived in New Orleans, call it a blonde moment. I'm sorry about what happened to you and your family but I'm glad your back where you want to be. Your turtles are SO cute. Wow your fish are very tame.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
How cool! Your pond looks cool too. The one eating from your hand is very impressive.
I have one that is plastic that I dug into my ground. It is hard to make it so I could have aquatic and land animals go in and out. I had many fish I had for a long long time...until my husband turned the hose on and left it on all night. They floated out and died from the water not being treated. I was a bit upset and have not re done the pond yet. I will sometime, I want fish again.

JennG

Cavy Slave
That's so cool! I never knew fish would come up and take food from ya. My kids would love to have fish and turtle as well as myself but hubby....He's such a pain.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Even though Susan(Chisky) was banned I'll answer her question. Yes, box turtles are land animals. If you notice they are being fed on the land. Bob is a red eared slider (aquatic) and he's the one eating in the pond.

Box turtles can swim if they want to and my girls will go into the pond for an occational dip but not often. The pond in the enclosure takes up 1/5th of the space. The rest is dry land with plants, compost heap and even a small raised cajun style mini house. The turtles hide under that house sometimes while my rabbit can go inside it when he's out for some outdoor time in the turtle enclosure. Here is a shot of the entire enclosure.

The outside. It's about 15' x 8'. Beware my crazy N'awlins decorating. This is decorated post storm and some of that stuff decorating the fence is storm debris I found.
17010411383.jpg

Patches the rabbit running about in the turtle enclosure. You can see his Bayou hidy house.
17010394495.jpg

This is a picture of my big pond once I got it all cleaned and healthy again and got some fish. I need to take a new picture of it to post because I've made several changes and the duck weed has now died back quite a bit. The big pond and turtle pond are seperate. I won't let the turtle in my big pond because I don't want her to eat my fish and nice plants.
17010460628.jpg

Last edited:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
JennG said:
That's so cool! I never knew fish would come up and take food from ya.
It takes time a patience to get them to do it. My new Koi seem pretty bright though. My old Koi Moby that died in the storm would never let me pet him. The new ones caught on quickly ad tamed down nicely although my daughter is partially undoing their taming. She goes out and kind of pokes at them. Not in a mean way but she doesn't like it when they nibble her so she won't leave her hand still in the water and tries to pet them in a rushing poke like way and scares them. I can always tell when she's been petting the fish because I go out and they won't rush over and rub against my hand like a bunch of cats. Instead they keep their distance.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
That is just the most wonderful thing. Voodoo you are quite the landscaper. My hat is off to you.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Hey VJ, anytime you want to roadtrip to Richmond and help me build my own pond, let me know!:D

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
You're on PM. I love working on my ponds or any pond for that matter.

By the way, you see those white bricks that my pond is made up of? Those bricks were found buried in my neighbor's yard. He gave them to me. They were all covered in old mortar (being used bricks). I spend weeks chipping those bricks (using a hatchet to chip away the old mortar) and built that Pond brick by brick all by myself.

It's 2 brick walls thick and a little over 18 inches deep. The edge is covered in Arkansas moss stone and is the perfect height for sitting on. The pond holds nearly 2,000 gallons of water.

I am very proud of my pond because I did it all myself. It's my little oasis in the middle of this city.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
A few koi might be the only animals I could convince my parents of at this point. We might have to go shopping for supplies for the pond though. Not a whole lot of buried bricks around here.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
VJ - ROAD TRIP!

That really is amazing what you've done - I've always loved fish but been a little afraid of trying to keep them. The best I ever did was a goldfish and a guppy in a 10-gal aquarium when I was 8 heh.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
I'll pick you up on the way Metalli. I'll pay the gas you bring the Appletinis and drive when I get drunk.

If you have a biggish pond and get a nice balance the fish pretty much keep themselves. I don't have to feed my fish as there is more then enough natural food in there but I enjoy feeding them.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave

janetangel

Cavy Slave
I love your pond. You are super creative. Reminds me of when my sister set up a plastic pond in her livingroom just so she could hear the water run. It was cool, she decorated the outside with rocks, moss and little nick nacks. The inside had the big bubble shaped water and a water fall along with a few plants. She never did fish. She now has it outside. People thought she was weird to have it inside, but I thought it was neat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.