Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

lumps on my pigs

spoiltpigs

Cavy Slave
I have 4 guinea pigs, and 3 of the 4 over the few years i've had them, now have lumps. One finally busted on one pig, and it looked like a cist (black stuff inside and keeps filling up) . But now the other ones have it too. Doesnt seem contagious, just something they get after a while. I heard that rats get cists when they aren't bred, is that what maybe is happening to my babies? any feedback would be must appreciated:eek:)--the Mom

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
I would see a vet - my former piggie had one that grew so large that nothing could be done and we had to put him to sleep - he couldn't walk anymore. It broke my heart and I always wondered if I had brought him to a vet sooner maybe he could've been spared. See a vet.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can get a variety of lumps ranging from cancerous tumours, to harmless fatty lumps to sebaceous cysts. If you aren't 100% sure what they are, always have them investigated by a cavy savvy vet or you could be jeopardising your guinea pig's health.

If the lumps you have seen are all producing a dark waxy substance, then it may be that they're just sebaceous cysts which are harmless (and will only need to be removed if they are causing the pig bother because of their size or placement). They're not related to breeding - just something some guinea pigs are prone to. But unless you can be sure of this, I'd just get your vet to check them out. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you have any medical questions, please post on the guinea lynx forums (broken link removed). Good luck with your piggers.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

spoiltpigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks

Hey yall, thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.