Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

lump on piggie =(

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I wanted to update you all on Walter's progress with his bladder infection: His infection has cleared up! He's doing great!

Now onto another pig problem! =( One of my other boars, Oscar has a lump under his neck that came out of no where. I'm bringing him to the vet tonight after work, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem like this? It's a hard lump that doesn't hurt him when I touch it, it's quite large-like the size of a gumball. My very first pig had a cyst that seemed similar to Oscar's growth. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm really not getting any work done! all I think about is my poor little guy!

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Can you move it around?

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
um, yeah sort of. It's not inside his throat area, it's between his skin. I've tried looking to see if there's a puncture of some sort that could have caused an absess (spelling?), but I haven't seen anything external.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
hmmm...well I'm not really sure what it is. But I think that if you can move it around, it's probably not anything like a tumor (good news!)

Maybe it is a cyst, like you're first pig had.

I'm not sure what else it could be. Maybe a blood clot?

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
oh! a blood clot...that's not good =( my father had one in his leg and almost died...I hope it's not that

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Well, they're not always critical. It depends on the location. I've had a blood clot from an accidental shot to the leg from a hockey stick & despite a lump that took a few weeks to go away I had no problems.

My dog has them too in his ears &...all over the place. He's got allergies & tends to scatch too hard sometimes. He's a bit lumpy.

But I'd try not too worry too much (if that's possible) until you get a proper diagnosis from the vet.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
My one piggie got bit last week and it wasnt anything bad at all. And today I went to check on him just make sure he is fine where he got bit and he had lump with puss coming out so I called medvet and told the lady about it and she said to clean it with Perocide (spelling) and it will kill it all and call her tomorrow to let her know how it goes. Metvet charges $34.00 a pig visit. I think its not bad and I think she said its $180.00 for 4 boars getting neuterd. Makes it 45. a boar. Not bad either and the vet is 15 mins from us.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
My oldest pig Salem had a lump about that size earlier this year. They operated on him and removed it. I was worried that it was cancer, but it was just a bunch of skin pigment cells thay said.

Animalhut210

Cavy Slave
My piggy (his name) had a lump on his neck i could move it around, we couldn't get to the vet and he died. I don't want to worry you but it's good that you ar etaking him to the vet.

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
okay, so I brought Oscar in lastnight to be checked out. The vet wasn't certain how this lump came about, there's no exterior wound...but they said that the location of the abcess (they think it's an abcess anyway) is very common for Guinea pigs. They're supposed to call me today to try to set up a surgery time for monday. I'm hoping that it's just an abcess that's not related to the teeth, because it's going to be pricey to begin with. I also hope it's not his teeth for the sake of him, poor little guy. He's eating well and doesn't seem to be in pain at all...I hope every thing goes smoothly on monday.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Well, I hope the surgery goes ok & that he makes a swift recovery.

I don't know that much about dental problems, but I hope it's not that either. If he's still able to eat well, what are the chances of it being his teeth?

Treen

Cavy Slave
Good luck for the surgery - I hope it goes smoothly and that the lump turns out to be harmless. You're definitely doing the right thing getting it checked out properly.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Great job getting it checked out right away! I hope that everything goes well, good luck!

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
Update:

I brought Oscar in yesterday for his surgery. They gave him a CT scan to see if the lumps had anything to do with his teeth, and Great news-they dont!

The Vet told me the lumps are not actually abcesses, but swollen Lymph glands. I guess Oscar has internal infections of 3 lymph glands, which need to be removed. They couldn't do the surgery yesterday, so I have to bring him back in tomorrow. They've gotten so big! poor guy, he's not in pain though, and he's still eating.

The bad news is that in the end this is going to cost me close to $1,000.00. I've only been out of college for a little over a year, so I don't have much money saved up, especially where I had to bring my other piggie Walter to the vet 3 times since July. Sad thing is, at the age of 24 I had to call my mom yesterday and ask her if I could borrow some money for a little bit to pay for Oscar's surgery.

My mom's great, and knows how much I love my animals, and that they are like children to me (I don't plan on ever having real kids). She's the one that got me so into animals in the first place, and she actually got me my first guinea pig for my birthday when I was 11. So she put money in my bank account yesterday to cover Oscar's surgery. I'm so greatfull that I could find some way to pay for this, I couldn't live with myself if Oscar died because he didn't get this taken care of.

I'll keep you guys posted on his progress.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Whoa!!! If this isn't life threatening, and it doesn't sound like it is, time to get a second opinion. There is no way that procedure should cost so much. No way. I pay top dollar in my area and I personally would not pay much over $300 for that surgery. $500 would be extreme in my opinion. $1000 is a pure rip off. I think you should look for another good cavy vet. Get a detailed description from your vet of what he plans to do and then call around. Also, check here (there are a couple listed in your area: (broken link removed)).

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
I've already paid $400 too. That's what it cost to have the CT scan, the admission fee, the set up fee...etc. The Hospital, Angell Memorial is so expensive. I've spent most of today looking for another vet in the area that will see Oscar. I found one about 20 miles away. I just looked at the link you provided, and all of those are far away with the exception of one. I'm going to call that one also.

and I agree that $1000 is way too much! when I lived in Maine it cost me $200 to have an abcess removed from the rump of my first piggie.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Wow I sure hope you find a different vet that charges less. One time Ginger got an abcess but I just got rid of it myself without any vet help. I think I used the Peter Gerby instructions or something. Well anyways,
I hope you piggy gets better soon!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Wow, that's awful! I'm sorry about the price. Great news for the piggy though, and I agree that you should find another vet. It's awesome that you are willing to pay so much, but that's what it costed for my dog to have his gut slit to remove an obstruction, as well as the x-rays, inducing vomit (poor thing!) etc. I hope the pig is ok!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
wow thats crazy. i called my vet tonight on the behalf of
Gizmo that had a lump from getting bit and we have to take him in as an emergency vet and it cosed us 75 bucks just to take him in to get the wound looked at. and then the meds on top of that is seperate. If i had an apt its 34 bucks.thats 40 more for an emergency visit.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
well Gizmo has abcess and they had to drain the fluid out and then they gave me meds. one is antibiotics and the other is antibiotics replacements. He is ok and a very brave piggie. He got an extra carrot tonight for not wheeking and crying from the vet. He shall be fine now I jsut have to make sure that he is not pussing anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.