Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Low Calcium, But No Variety..

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave
Okay, So I started to see white spots on the coroplast and have been giving them no romaine (I used to give it to them 1-3 times a week in addition to green leaf and other varietys)
And no parsley (I rarely fed it anyway).. There is still white spots so I've been not giving them as much cilantro a day.. and I'll see if that helps, and I'm also getting a water filter soon.
After I run out of dandelion or it goes bad I wont feed it after,

here is what I feed them:

1/8 A cup of pellets per pig per day. (Oxbow Cavy cusine)
Unlimeted Timothy hay.

Green leaf.
Red leaf.
Radicchio.
Escarole.
Endive. (Although I'm not buying it no more, as its hard to wash)
Cilantro.
Baby Carrots.
Green/Yellow/Red pepper.
Parsnips.
Kale.
Cherry tomatoes.
Green beans.
Celery.
cucumber.
Apple, Sometimes.

Sometimes I will get them dill if it looks good.
And I want to get them Swiss chard too.
And try pumpkin.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Things like dandellion are high in calcium, My pigs can not handle romaine, or dandellion. I don't think they have issues with cilantro. They only get it a few times a week anyways because I can't stand the smell of it.

I think kale is also high in calcium. Not sure about that one. Have you seen the nutrition charts? Dills also high in calcium. My pigs rarely get that. Another few things they can't handle are clover and mint. They get it sometimes as a treat, but not very often otherwise they have problems.

Chard is also high in oxalates, so if your pigs have lots of bladder sludge you may want to avoid it.

I know pellets can also contribute to problems. If it still doesn't resolve you may want to cut pellets out.

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave
Okay,
I onlu give Kale 2 times a week, ans its only 1 large leaf or 2 smaller ones for 4 pigs, so when I'm giving only that much I dont think it will be a problem. but if the calcium spots continue after cutting out dandelion, I'll try cuttin that out too.
Chard is high in oxalates, and I will again only be giving 1 large leaf or 2 smaller ones, Again if the white spots continue, I'll cut it.
Dill is quite a rare one for me too, It goes bad very quick... I only give a sprig per pig every so often, or if one seems to be having a little bloat (My mom said it helps with bloat, IDk), so I try to have it on hand.
Gosh, my pig dont have not variety :/ dont know what to do....

Eccles

Cavy Slave
I've been cutting back the calcium too, but they LOVE cilantro, so haven't cut that yet.
Green beans.... they LOVE green beans!
Tried zucchini, they don't care much about it
Same w/peas in a pod.
I do two kinds of lettuce, celery sometimes, green/yellow bell pepper daily and rotate green beans, zucchini, pea pods this week. And a baby carrot each during lap time w/the boys.
Did broccoli, only Brandy will eat it. However when it comes to green beans, Chocolate loves them so much he snags one and runs into the igloo to eat it!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'm not a big believer of white spots (gritty or not) being an indicator of bladder issues. They HAVE to eliminate excess calcium from their bodies somehow - the fact that you see the white spots indicates they are removing it from their system. In my experience, stone pigs don't really show white spots because they are NOT eliminating calcium.

That said, dill is exceedingly high in calcium and in my experience not a huge favorite anyway, so I'd not feed it. Cilantro, kale and celery might be worth avoiding if you're genuinely worried about it. Quite honestly, I'd switch to a pellet that doesn't contain calcium carbonate - meaning either KMs or Zupreems NEW formula. Calcium carbonate likely plays a much bigger role in stone formation than the plant based calcium found in hays and vegetables.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@Paula

Does oxbow have the calcium carbonate? I'd love to get KMS pellets, but they're ridiculously expensive to ship to canada. Maybe I'll take a road trip when I'm older and get a bunch of pellets haha.

OP, your diet seems okay. I mean the more variety the better, but you don't need to go over board either.

Eccles

Cavy Slave
So today I hand fed the pea pods and suddenly Chocolate was all about them! Which meant.... Brandy HAD to try to steal some. LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.