Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Loud at Night

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Question...: Are guinea pigs loud at night? If so, what are they doing? And how can you prevent it? Do they chew on the grids?? Thanks.

I have one hormonal big female, and when she goes into heat all hell breaks loose. Chasing, jumping, rumble strutting loud as heck that sounds like someone banging a hammer in the cage. The cage mate running & shrieking when being mounted.

Mind you I wear earplugs, but & cannot sleep properly during those 3-4 nights. Another thing is when they scratch themselves & hit the base of the cage - awesome drummer material right there. Or when they do zoomies & decide to kick the sides when turning. Drinking water only to make the bottle leak & wake me up with the rattling.

Trying to wake me up in the early hours if they notice me moving, or one sitting on the loft keeping guard in case I do. Clever little devils.

I 1000000% agree with Hannibal! I too need to sleep with earplus in.

Hannibal:
How often do they go into heat? I'm planning on adopting a girl and she's 8 months old-according to her owner-and to what noises do they make on a REGULAR basis (When not in heat)

Oh and thanks for replying so quickly:)

I can sleep in the same room with my two females, no problem. And I'm a light sleeper. Mine are quiet at night, except for Ruffles' occasional chirping.

Mine go into heat roughly every two weeks, and it last for a day or so. There's a little more drama in the cage at those times, and definitely more rumbling than at any other time. But they're definitely not loud.

My guinea pigs are really quiet at night. They're in my dining room so they're not near where we sleep but if one of my kids get home late, the guinea pigs wheek so that will wake me up. Aside from that, I never hear them at night.

I should have mentioned that my pig is located in my bedroom, that's why I need to sleep with earplugs in. When he was in my living room in my old house I couldn't hear a thing.

Ok, so I'm getting mixed signals. I'm guessing it depends on the individual pig?

My 1st boy is noisy, but not loud. He has alot to say, but he keeps his voice down.

The only time the pigs have ever woken me up was during their 1st night together in the same cage.

I think it really does depend on the pig.

I'm a night owl, so my pigs are too. Sometimes they like to run around and have conversations after I've gone to bed, but it never keeps me up. granted, I'm a heavy sleeper... but I actually think the sounds help put me to sleep. I find their stirring and quiet chatter quite comforting.

So how can you prevent the noise for those who are noisy/make it quiter...if you even can.

Also, another question, do any of your pigs chew on the grids of the cage?? Thanks to all who have replied:) Just thought I'd share that one of my friends' guinea pigs are VERY noisy at night so ya...I slept through it though!

Also, another question, do any of your pigs chew on the grids of the cage?? Thanks to all who have replied:) Just thought I'd share that one of my friends' guinea pigs are VERY noisy at night so ya...I slept through it though!

I have one pig that does, Perry. He only chews them when he's excited though, if he hears the tap around veggie time, smells/sees the veggies, hears a bag crinkle, and when he hears me setting up their playpen for floor time. My other piggie on the other hand never has.

I have my two piggies and a hamster in my room. I find the hamster wakes me up more at night than my piggies.

The hamster chews on her cage tunnels and drives me nutty! The only time the pigs wake me is when they drink, but they are pretty good about sleeping when you sleep...

I find my pigs are most active in the morning and at night. Those are the times I'm around them too.

My previous pig, I used to cover most of his cage with a light blanket (kinda like you do birds) and that really settled him down. He never woke me!

My pigs sleep at the foot of my bed. (I live in a studio apartment) They are pretty quiet most of the time. Sometimes they'll wake me up when they decide they want to push their hidey holes around and have a good run around in the cage. This isn't all the time though.

As for the grid biting, mine do it only when they know they're getting their salads. They get desperate once they hear bags and chopping sounds.

my girls that are about 6 months old makes noises for the first 20 mins but then it's quiet and they are in my room with me also.

My previous pig, I used to cover most of his cage with a light blanket (kinda like you do birds) and that really settled him down. He never woke me!

That works?! I definitely have to try that!! Thanks!! How much of the cage do you cover? And they still have proper ventilation right?

I should have mentioned that my pig is located in my bedroom, that's why I need to sleep with earplugs in. When he was in my living room in my old house I couldn't hear a thing.

You sleep with earplugs in b/c of your pigs?!

I have one hormonal big female, and when she goes into heat all hell breaks loose. Chasing, jumping, rumble strutting loud as heck that sounds like someone banging a hammer in the cage. The cage mate running & shrieking when being mounted.

Mind you I wear earplugs, but & cannot sleep properly during those 3-4 nights. Another thing is when they scratch themselves & hit the base of the cage - awesome drummer material right there. Or when they do zoomies & decide to kick the sides when turning. Drinking water only to make the bottle leak & wake me up with the rattling.

You sleep with earplugs in?! Just because of your piggies?!

Trying to wake me up in the early hours if they notice me moving, or one sitting on the loft keeping guard in case I do. Clever little devils.

Is there anywhere on here, guinea lynx, etc. that talks about females going into heat, puberty, etc.?

P.s. How old are they when they are "adolescents"?

I just used a very light blanket (think baby receiving blanket). I only covered like, half the cage. I think with doing that and turning off the lights he knew it was time to settle down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.