Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Lots of noise coming from my boys new cage?

TNpiggyGrandma

Cavy Slave
There is lots of chatter, rumbling, mounting, and a little bit of biting. Its two boars that have never been housed together, its their first day, but they have been introduced and hung out several times. Charlie is always trying to mount Sammy, but now Sammy is doing the same to Charlie now that they are in their new cage. Its a large 2x7 C&C cage. So there is plenty of room. Are they going to settle down or should I just keep them separated? Its virtually quiet now but its been two hours of lots of noise. Which I don't mind as long as they're happy. TIA

I've never had 2 males at the same time so I'm no expert but it sounds like they are just getting their relationship in order. I wouldn't separate them unless one of them really gets hurt or you would just have to start all over again. They will most likely be okay.

Have you made sure they are both boys?

All that you have listed above is the normal behavior when pigs are trying to figure out who is boss. Though you will want to keep an eye on everything to make sure that no blood is drawn, if there is, then they will need to be separated. Make sure not to separate them if it is not needed though, that would be very stressful for them to have to be joined again.

You don't necessarily need to separate if blood is drawn. It depends on how severe the wound is, and also how the pigs are getting along afterwards. If the wounds are more like scratches, or places where hair is pulled out, there is still hope for the boys getting along.

I'd keep them together. Lots of noise, running around, and messy cages is normal. You might want to pay attention to their weights in the next few weeks to make sure each is getting his fair share of the food.

Thank you all for your advice! I really appreciate it. And I am positive that they are both boys (they are both well endowed). I just wanted to make sure that what they are doing is normal. I have only had females in the past and they all just popcorned around and wheeked with happiness. These guys were both rescues and have some behavioral issues among some other things. Like I said, I just wanted to be sure that it was all normal. Thank you all for your advice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.