Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior lots of chattering

guineamommaof2

Cavy Slave
I've had my two boys for about 6 weeks now. There is about 2 month age difference between the two. We kept a very good eye on them after we got the younger of the two. They were both normal during they introductions. But now they have started doing a lot of chattering.

I went shopping for my wedding yesterday. I got home and they were both acting normal. I noticed my fiancee had given them some hay before he had left. I took 'em both out for lap time. There were acting normal. My fiancee called later last night on his lunch and he told me he had been watching them. They were doing a lot of chattering. Neither of my boys are quiet by any means esp. when he comes time for hay or their veggies.

Just before my fiancee got home from work, I heard one of them run into the cage. So, I went in and they started chattering like all heck had broken lose. I let 'em calm down then I picked up the younger, George, of the two. He was shaking. I took him in the living room then he was fine.

And now just about 20 minutes ago, I put some hay down cause I'm getting ready to go to work and the chattering started again. It was the older, Fred, of the two. He was sitting in the hay.

Fred has bitten both myself and my fiancee. All he seems to want to do is nibbling. George, who's always been shy, has finally started coming out of his shell. He's turning into our lover.

This is the first time either of us have had guinea pigs. We did a lot of research before we got 'em. Neither of us are sure if the chattering is normal or if something might be wrong.

They might just be sorting out who is going to be boss, but if there is blood drawn or one of your guinea pigs is completely stopping the other one from eating and drinking then I would separate them.

Sounds like dominance issues, which often break out during puberty. How large is their cage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.