Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Lost tooth

HavePatience

Cavy Slave
Okay let me start off by asking that you please be kind with your responses. I appologize if this has been asked before, I am having a hard time figuring out this forum.

I have a male pig who will be 3 on June 1. He has a C&C cage that is 2x4, he has unlimited Timothy Hay, Oxbow Pellets about a quarter cup a day and he gets a large handful of spring mix lettuce every night. He does not have a cage mate so this is all just his. I try to also give him extras every night like bell peppers, apples in moderation, orange slices, and other extras that I have read have vitamin C. My problem is he has become VERY picky. He will eat unlimited amounts of lettuce but barely eats any other veggies. WEll about a month ago I noticed he had lost one of his bottom teeth. I am worried it is because he isn't getting enough vitamin C. He does bite on his cage a lot, even when hes out he bites on the bars, but it hasn't grown back so I dont think it was from damage but probably a deficiency. Any suggestions on how to get a picky pig to get more vitamin C?

Thanks!!

You can supplement his diet with vitamin C. Oxbow makes vitamin C drops, or you can buy a child's chewable vitamin C tablet and give him about a fourth of it -- most pigs like them. Just make sure it's not a multi-vitamin, you only want the C.

One other thing you should do is cut back on his pellets -- adult pigs don't need more than 1/8 cup per day. They can fill up on pellets and ignore the veggies.

Also cut way back on the fruit -- the sugar isn't good for them, and like many of us, they prefer the sweets to the veggies. Fruit should be only an occasional treat, and not much of it then.

He also doesn't need unlimited amounts of lettuce. He needs about a cup of veggies per day, plus maybe an extra lettuce leaf.

It sounds like he's eating lots of the things he likes and very little of the things he doesn't, so you need to rebalance his thinking. :)

You can teach him to eat veggies by dicing them very finely and putting them on his pellets. He'll get enough by accident to get accustomed to the taste, and then you can feed it in bigger chunks.

Thank you so much! I thought I'd heard that about the pellets but since he isn't overweight I didn't think it would matter. Never thought about it filling him up. He barely eats any fruit so cutting back won't be a problem. What is the best source of vitamin C in veggies? He'll eat anything green, green bell peppers, cilantro, in fact if I give him strawberries he only eats the tops. Thank you again for the advice!

Green peppers and cilantro are both excellent for him.

I forgot to post the link to the recommended foods list -- it's got info on the nutritional values and recommendations on how often to feed.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.