Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Lost teeth?

justastudebt

Cavy Slave
While feeding my guinea pigs I noticed Ruffle's tooth fall out while eating lettuce. When I checked on her teeth both top teeth were completely gone all I can see is her gums. I checked on her teeth yesterday and they looked perfectly fine and now they're completely gone. I have no idea what could have happened, do guinea pigs lose teeth? Should I see a vet for this or should I wash out her gums with water and feed her critical care until her teeth grows back? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

No, guinea pigs do not lose teeth under normal circumstances. If there is really no discernable tooth above the gumline, then you need to get her to a vet ASAP! Can she eat hay, veggies, and pellets?

She was eating the veggies okay, it took her a while but she ate it and the same goes for pellets. I haven't seen her eat hay yet so I'm not sure. I'm gonna try to get an appointment in the morning. I took a closer look at her gums I did see a tooth on the right but I can't seem to see one on the left. My lighting is very bad so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is correct.

There are a few reasons she could have lost her teeth--an injury, a vitamin C deficiency, or a root infection or abscess are some possible explanations.

Rugby lost his top two teeth one time in an accident.
I had to make sure he could still eat on his own, which he could and still drink on his own.
I cut up his veggies small so he could pop them in his mouth just fine.
Once his top teeth started to grow back in, I noticed his bottom teeth were way too long, he had to go to the vets to get the bottom ones ground down so that they would meet perfectly with the tops again.
I'd keep an eye on that.
Also you need to find out why they broke off.
Does your pig get all the vitamin c required? Is she a bar chewer? Did she have an accident?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.