Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Looking for alternative chews and treats! And some advice on squeaks.

Jadetheloner

Cavy Slave
My cavy, his name is Midnight; is young. I got him from the petsmart my sister works out on June 6th 2019 so he is still young as they all are when gotten from a pet store. However this post is about the chews and treats available in store. Midnight doesn't seem interested in the store bought chews or treats. Currently I've been offering cardboard from a paper towel tube. I don't want him to start chewing on the bars of his cage to grind down his incisors. Does anyone have an alternative option for chews? I've given him sweet potato (he LOVES sweet potato) and I've also given him lettuce and green bell pepper. He hasn't liked the bell pepper but will eat it but not nearly as fast as he'll eat sweet potato. What kind of veggies do you guys give your pigs as a treat that I could try? Also along the lines of food, he doesn't just squeak when happy or getting fed. Midnight's squeaks can get so loud that from my kitchen which is where my bedroom is off of I can hear him squeaking. Is this normal for my pig? Is he just really excited or should I look into taking him to the vet? My sister's pig who is the same breed as Midnight (American Guinea pig) doesn't get that loud when he squeaks. I've had a friend who has had guinea pigs for while and she's also never heard a pig squeak that loud.

Loud piggies are normal, but some are and some just aren't. Mine were always vocal when young, and tapered off as they got older.

As far as chews go, HAY is the best thing for them to chew. My fellas are also partial to toilet paper tubes (you MUST make sure the glue is scraped off) and the occasional box. One of my boys chews the bars when he is insistent on a treat, and his brother pretends to in order to not be left out.

This is a good place to start on what to feed, and what NOT to feed.

https://www.guinealynx.info/fave.html

There are other links in that article to other foods, and their nutritional values.

And as an aside, the store bought chews and treats are virtually useless, and some are even dangerous. Just avoid them.

Keep in mind that cavies are as variable and different as we humans are! No need to take him to the Vet, but I would try to sort out WHY he is wheeking so loudly. I'm assuming that these two cavies are in the same house? Perhaps one is calling to the other for company? If they are both male, why don't they live together in a large cage?

Cavies keep their incisors ground down by having hay available 24/7. Mine have never shown the slightest interest in commercially available toys and I avoid treats of any kind. My boys have always loved cardboard and will demolish a cardboard house in a matter of hours. Sometimes I will put a cardboard hidey in the cage for an hour or two and then remove it so that they don't ingest too much.

Fortunately, my cavies don't really care for fruits or veggies with high sugar, so I give them other things as a treat. They are mad for kale, but due to the high calcium content of dark leafy greens, I may feed one leaf per day......or not. Same is true for dandelion greens. Other than that, I feed corn husks torn into thin strips (only the tender, inner light green husks), a half of a mini cucumber, some radicchio, celery leaves, or an occasional baby carrot. I did have one cavy who liked sweet potato as well, but he actually preferred it baked.

I had a boy who would "sing" at the top of his lungs when out for lap time. His singing was SO loud that we couldn't hear the t.v. nor carry on a conversation. We contemplated having him try out for The Voice! Keep in mind that he was a high-strung, nervous, shy little fellow, but became increasingly more calm with love and patience. His overly-enthusiastic loud song became this soft little sing-song tune that was uniquely Chip. Since your boy is quite young, he will likely get more comfortable and secure as he gets older. My cavies rarely wheek for food because they are so secure in the certainty that their needs will be met that apparently they feel no need to wheek.

Since my Sparky lost his cagemate (Chip, the one who was so vocal), he never wheeks......and oddly enough, I miss that.

Stuff a bunch of hay in those cardboard tubes. I might put a little oat hay in the center for a treat with Timothy and orchard hay on the ends. Any good quality grass hay will work though.

Cut some holes in the center of the tube as well and pull a few hay strands out for them to grab.

Mine love to pull the hay out of the tubes and will work on it for quite some time... Despite the fact they have a huge pile of the same hay in their kitchens!

Mine also were louder when they were younger. They liked attention and the company of other pigs. When I would take a younger pig out, they would often wheek loudly for their cage mates.

I'm assuming that these two cavies are in the same house? Perhaps one is calling to the other for company? If they are both male, why don't they live together in a large cage?

Every time I try to let the boys to meet eachother and be comfortable when near eachother my sister freaks out because they try to show dominance which I have read is normal and one will eventually back down. the longest they've probably seen eachother is for thirty seconds? My sister is going to college to be a vet and is insistent that she knows everything about animal behavior. My sister is 19; four years older than me. Besides having a bias toward her own piggy she acts as if i know nothing and haven't done research on cavy behavior. besides having a different room than eachother, my family doesn't have enough space for a cage large enough to house both cavies. I would love to be able to let Midnight and his cousin Reese have playdates and get to be with another cavy but until they dont try to assert dominance over the other they cant in case of a fight. I would like to try and accustom them but i would have to do it while my sister isn't home and the fear of my sister being pissed that i both entered her room and touched her cavy prevents me from doing so. Do you have any advice on how to introduce them to eachother?

Since my Sparky lost his cagemate (Chip, the one who was so vocal), he never wheeks......and oddly enough, I miss that.

I'm so sorry for your loss of chip! i bet he was a wonderful cavy and friend

As others have said, Timothy or other grass hay 24/7 is a must. Some pigs, like mine, aren’t chewers. She will chew on fresh apple sticks that I cut from our apple tree, but that’s about all. Avoid the pet store chews and spend that money on good quality hay and pellets.

The cardboard rolls can be fun, but be sure they can’t get their head stuck in them. One forum member posted a photo of her GP with a paper tube around his waist. He managed to crawl through and get stuck. She recommends cutting the tube down one side. You can also take small sections of cardboard tubes, cut holes in them, put pellets inside and press the ends shut. Your GP will learn to roll the tube with his nose until the pellets fall out.

Some guinea pigs have quite a set of lungs and can wake up the house with their whistle. If he’s eating and active he’s probably hungry or wants attention. Good luck with him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.