Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Long haired pig

MookaGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have a long haired pig, and I have been giving her baths every couple of months because her bottom is covered with pee on her fur. she is SO squeamish and I can never trim her hair or brush it without her running away. (she can't stay on my lap for more than a couple seconds!) Is there anything I can do to keep her bottom cleaned, and also to keep her from being so squirmy? thanks :)

I have a long haired pig too and she requires bum bathes every month to clean her up. My pig has slowly gotten used to being brushed. It just takes patience and time. Put a nice baby carrot in front of her during lap time and gently brush her while she is eating. I use a human comb (plastic) and it works better than a pet brush at getting loose hair and dirt out of her thick coat.

Trimming the hair around the bum is the best way of keeping them clean between bum bathes. Do you have someone who can hold her while you trim? It also helps having really good scissors made for cutting hair.

I find that a baby carrot on a towel at a table and good scissors helps. I can usually cut the hair I need to with them just sitting there eating a carrot. Every once in a while I need help to get underneath. There's also a really good video on youtube on how to clean out a boar's sack that shows a great technique for wrapping them in a towel to expose their behind only (might be good for trimming). I have a texel and a peruvian/abby mix...so we do haircuts and occasional baths too.

Thank you both so much, this helped a lot :) I am going to try your techniques tonight!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.