Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Lonely Guinea Pig?

Gemmainrainbows

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone :)
Basically i adopted a beautiful little guinea pig, Roger from the pet store, he'd been separated from all the others because he was fighting. But now i've got him home i think he's lonely. I've been reading a lot about how important it is for a guinea pig to have a buddy. And was just wondering whether its a good idea to get him a buddy or not, considering his fighting past?
Any help would be much appreciated :)
Gemma x

i think you should find a rescue. some rescues allow your pig to meet other pigs to see which ones get along and which ones don't.

however, you should wait a few weeks to quarantine him or take him to the vet for a check up to make sure he is healthy before introducing him to other pigs.

god luck! :)

Pigs NEED a friend, so I would work on finding one that he gets along with.

You say "Fighting PAST"

So, there isn't any reason that you shouldn't at least TRY to get him a pal. If that sentence was "Fighting NOW" then you could have waited.

Please try and find your piggie a friend from a rescue.

:)

Thank you guys :)
i'll get on it!
i'm sure he'd love to have a buddy :)
even if it does take time x

Yes, adopt one from a rescue. One doesn't really adopt from a pet store.

He's most likely going through adolescence, which is when young males tend to fight for dominance. How old is he?

Also, you need to make sure you have a cage large enough for two male guinea pigs. I would not put a pair in anything smaller than 10.5 square feet, which is a 2x4 C&C Cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.