Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Loft or no loft ?

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
I'm looking for opinions on lofts. Are they useful ? Do pigs like them ? Is it better to have a bigger single level cage ?

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I think you will get a ton of different opinions on this question! All depends on your preferences and your pigs preferences. Before, I had a 2x6 cage with a 1.25x6 loft. I did it because I had to divide my cage (it was basically a stacked cage - Randy on top, girls on bottom). It worked well - easy to clean under the loft, good use of the space I had. I know the loft was a little narrow, but that's what fit in the room and it was for a single pig. However, just yesterday I introduced all the pigs again (no worries, Randy is neutered) and I took the loft off and added it on to the back of the main level to make one big 3x6 cage. I did it so I can have the biggest space possible for the 3 pigs to share. But I'm also trying to make the cage as simple as possible to make cleaning easier. Now I just have a kitchen along one end with wood pellets and the rest is fleece with UHaul. I see a lot of people use their loft as the kitchen, so that's kind of the same idea (one kitchen area, the rest fleece).

I should warn you that changing your cage is addictive! I've done many many minor changes and 2 major changes since I got my pigs in July!

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
&CavyChrissy I'm kind of in the same boat. I have 3 females(one possibly pregnant [emoji17]) and a neutered male that I will be re-introducing in a month. I want to try and have as big of cage as possible to give them all space,and potentially any babies as well.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm not a fan of lofts. I had one and removed it. I found that the shy ones like to spend most of their time under the loft or ramp and it made it harder to clean the cage. There are people who absolutely love having a loft so it's really a matter of taste and guinea pig preference.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
&CavyChrissy I'm kind of in the same boat. I have 3 females(one possibly pregnant [emoji17]) and a neutered male that I will be re-introducing in a month. I want to try and have as big of cage as possible to give them all space,and potentially any babies as well.

Oh wow, it sounds like you will have a big herd! I will cross my fingers that you don't have a pregnancy (unless you are ok with one, of course!). I have to say, I moved a lot of furniture around to make my big cage happen. I moved my husband's desk (which he uses to work at home occasionally) to our walk-in closet!

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
That's too funny !!! I'm ok to handle her pregnancy, but really don't want her to go through it, and there is already enough babies in the world. But if it does happen, I don't know what to do with the babies. It's going to be hard to give them up

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
I'm not a fan of lofts. I had one and removed it. I found that the shy ones like to spend most of their time under the loft or ramp and it made it harder to clean the cage. There are people who absolutely love having a loft so it's really a matter of taste and guinea pig preference.

That's a good point [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]. I have a very nervous sow, I'm sure that she'd take advantage of that.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Don't want to hijack your thread, but does anyone know how hard it would be to clean under a 1x2 loft with bedding? Is it hard to reach under?

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I had one, like the idea of a loft, but removed mine. I just had a hard time cleaning underneath the loft.

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION]. I like that plan. That seems to solve the difficulty of cleaning under it

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.