Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Liver Disease

RIPrebo

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Rebo died of liver disease this morning, may he rest in peace. The problem is my rabbit is started to have loose feces. Is liver disease contagious? What are the symptoms of liver disease in rabbits?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Usually liver disease is a symptom or result of something else in guinea pigs. How was he diagnosed with liver disease?

Whether or not your rabbit caught something from your pig, he probably needs to see a vet. Do you have a good rabbit vet?

I am sorry for your loss.

RIPrebo

Cavy Slave
We found out through bloodwork just yesterday. He also had teeth problems we had to have fixed. My rabbit seems fine otherwise, but it is probably a good idea to check.

pinky

Cavy Slave
What kind of bedding do you use? Cedar and pine that isn't kiln dried have aromatic oils that can cause kidney and liver damage.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I believe that liver damage is often associated with anorexia. For some reason the pig stops eating (anorexia) which causes the elevated liver values. Perhaps the original cause is the teeth problems? In which case your rabbit would not be at risk.

Still, unless his poops firm up I would take him to the vet. Is he (or she) still eating normally? Gut stasis is an emergency in rabbits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.