Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Little guy sick

CavyLover2012

Cavy Slave
I know many of you are against purchasing pigs but today the store had a little guy that an uninformed cavy person would not have caught. He had sores in the corner of each side of mouth and à slight runny nose. I showed the manager and they had just got them. They will be getting approval for me to take him to the vet. He is about 3mo old. I looked online and saw possible reasons. Any suggestions. I took him because an unsuspecting parent and child would not know how to care for him.

F

GOOD FOR YOU. You may have saved his life. Defiantly get him to a vet. To much fruit
Can cause sores and the runny nose isn't good. But he sounds like he is good hands. If not for you his life could have gotten so much
Worse. Good luck and I will pray for him. I
Am on my phone and don't know
How to add friends yet so add me would you. I would like to know how your little guy is
Doing.

Thanks a bunch. So saline would help?!

Thanks. Yeah I read that as well. Noone is open tomorrow so he is being watched and quarentined from everyone else. He is eating pepper but I am not sure about his pellets. He is also drinking but I think it hurts him.

He is also drinking but I think it hurts him.

If he is having a hard time drinking from a drip bottle, you can also give him the option of a bowl with water in it. When my GP was having issues, (bumble foot) he wanted to drink the water out of his "bath" with epsom salts. Of course I had to stop him but I gave him water in a bowl to drink as an option until he got better... Another thing you can do is wet down his lettuce and other veggies or give him cucumber and watermelon (in small amounts) in order to increase his water intake. If all else fails you might run an ice cube under warm water to "soften" it and then give it to him, it might feel good for him to lick it and numb the sores around his mouth?

Is he eating hay and expelling pee/poo?

Not sure about pee but poor yeah. Hay a little

Morning. CHEWBAKKA seems better. He sounds cong3sted in nose but is eating peering and poling.. he is even hiding in a hidey hut. He is more energetic and not so lethargic. Yay the first night over.

I am glad to hear it. My girl is better this morning some too. Prayers still going out. Good luck.

I know many of you are against purchasing pigs but today the store had a little guy that an uninformed cavy person would not have caught. He had sores in the corner of each side of mouth and à slight runny nose. I showed the manager and they had just got them. They will be getting approval for me to take him to the vet. He is about 3mo old. I looked online and saw possible reasons. Any suggestions. I took him because an unsuspecting parent and child would not know how to care for him.

F

I'm not sure where you're at, but you should report that this store is selling sick animals. You can call your local animal control and find out who has jurisdiction over pet stores. It might be the Dept of Agriculture...I'm not sure. The others are probably all infected with whatever yours has so it's just a vicious cycle that will continue. I'd skip using their vet and find an exotic vet that specializes in guinea pigs.

Chewy is getting worse. Store no help except exchange or replace. Still eatiñg and drinking. Going to vet tomorrow if he is still with us. Im sad and wish I could afford er vet in next county.

I'll be praying! You can do it Chewy!

UPDATE. The store owner agreed with taking care of chewy. In my vet search I found out that one of local exotic vets takes care of thiß stores pets chewy is now with the store manager getting antibiotic

UPDATE: Went by the store today to see how Chewy was doing, and found out he did better and then took a sudden turn for the worse and passed away. I did all I could and so did they, I guess he was not able to fight the URI.

Poor little guy. I'm so sorry to hear that.

thanks. He was only 2-3 mnths old so maybe it is harder for babies to fight. I am sad but remembering I have 8 others at home needing my love.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.