Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Litt'le Fatties

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
Good Day All.

My girls are growing double chins. Yes, last week when they went to the vet for a check up I was told they are a little chubby and to cut back on the fruits. I have done that. I've up'ed the red lettuce, carrot, green bell pepper, celery and a little zuccinni and cucumber. I cut out the apple and tomatoe and orange. I've been putting crushed Vit C tabs in the vegies.

I admit they don't get enough out of cage time. I let them run amuck when the time is right (cat and dog not around). I'm sure it's still not enough. Is that part of the double chins so quickly?

Double chins in pigs doesn't mean they are overweight. Could you tell us how much the weigh/how old they are? Make sure that they are only getting 1/8 to 1/4 a cup of pellets per day as that is mostly what causes weight gain. I don't really think that the fruit would make them gain weight, though I'm not a vet. Also make sure you are only feeding a cup of veggies per day for each pig. How big of a cage do they have? Judging by your icon, it looks like a pet store cage, unless that is just a loft. I think you might want to look into getting a bigger cage for your pigs. I'm guessing you have two, so at the very minimum (Bigger is defiantly better) you will need a 2x4 cage for them.

How big of a cage do they have? Judging by your icon, it looks like a pet store cage, unless that is just a loft. I think you might want to look into getting a bigger cage for your pigs. I'm guessing you have two, so at the very minimum (Bigger is defiantly better) you will need a 2x4 cage for them.

Yes, cage is too small. Large rabbit cage from co-op 40x18. I've been working on grids. Second hand stores (couple times a week), Craigslist (got only one call from a guy and his voice just scared me...did'nt call him back). When I took them into my vet they both weighed 1.75 lbs and aprox. 4 months old. I will have to check the pellets might be more than 1/4 c. I'm pretty sure in the vegie department they are getting a cup or less each per day.

Cut back on the pellets, not the veggies. My girls were devastated when I cut their pellets back, but they are getting used to it now. 4 months old = 1/4 pellets each per day. You can also mix alfalfa with timothy pellets. I know babies are supposed to get alfalfa, but if they are gettin gtoo fat, cutting the alfalfa pellets in half with timothy pellets might help. Just feed veggies with extra calcium, like parsley.

Do you have a Bed Bath & Beyond? If you sign up for emails, they send a 20% off coupon right away. The grids are $20 per pack, minus the 20%, then it's only $18.

Do you have a Bed Bath & Beyond? If you sign up for emails, they send a 20% off coupon right away. The grids are $20 per pack, minus the 20%, then it's only $18.

Isn't 20% off of $20, only $16? :eek:

@(broken link removed)

Isn't 20% off of $20, only $16? :eek:

I've said it before, an' I'll say it again-I'm terrible at math! LOL. You're right! (blushing)

@Petlovr I'm terrible at math, too! But when it comes to saving money, somehow my inner calculator works wonders. :D

K, Bad at math to. My goal is a 4' x 8' with two levels and room to store supplies under. That would be how many packs? :melodrama Plus how many yards of coroplast?

To do a true 4 foot by 8 foot cage, you'll have to overlap grids. The grids are 14 inches. You'll need 4 for each short end, and 7 for each long side. If you put it on the floor, you don't need grids on the bottom. If you want the cage on a table, I'd suggest getting a sheet of plywood. So, 7+7+4+4=22 grids. I don't know how big your second level will be. Just be aware that a 4ft by 8 ft cage will be hard to clean-you'll need to be able to walk all the way around it to get to the opposite side.

If you want a 4 grid by 8 grid cage, that's REALLY huge, and = 42 sq ft.

Oh, I forgot. Either way you'll need 2 full sheets of coroplast, and you'll have to tape the sides to the bottom.

If you want a 4 grid by 8 grid cage, that's REALLY huge, and = 42 sq ft.

:eek:ptimist: Yes, I'm sure it's over kill. I just keep reading that bigger is better. I know I'm not going to stop with just two cavies. Already have my eye on a third one.

Well, bigger is better within reason. It has to be something you can clean easily, or you'll be loathe to do it. At 42 sq ft, that's a free range piggie in a room. A 3 ft x 6 ft (in feet, not grids) is 18 sq feet, much more room than you need for 4 pigs. It's what I have, and it's a nice size. Big enough for laps and plenty of hideys, and also a nice 3ft x 1 ft kitchen on the end. I find a kitchen is a must, or the fleece doesn't last a week. I end up changing the kitchen about every 3 days with 4 pigs on carefresh because it gets so wet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.