Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Litter Training

kp53179

Cavy Slave
Buddy is very good about going potty in and around his pigloo. He sometimes poops in his bed but that is no problem. I would like to switch from the pigloo to a litter pan. How can I successfully do that? I know the litter plan isn't covered like the pigloo is so I was thinking of maybe put a grid over the litter pan with a blanket or something hanging over the grid so that the litter pan is hidden. My ultimate goal is for the pee to go into something other than my fleece. Do you think I am able to successfully switch him over to the litter pan or should I somehow make a box out of coroplast to put the bedding and pigloo in? I hope I make sense! Thanks in advance!

i need help also,I purchased a litter pan and strawberry jumps in but hasn't done anything in it yet. she goes mainly in the corner. I even put some poop in the pan, but so far nothing.

Yeah I tried it out in the playpen with poop in the pan too. I had a bathroom that I know he would use in one corner and the litter pan in the other. He only went by the litter pan 2 times. Jumped in once, looked like he was eating some carefresh (is that bad?) and then jumped out. Not sure if he actually used it or not. I want to make sure he knows that is what hes supposed to use before I fully put it in his cage. Eventually, I want to make a kitchen area with a litter pan in the corner on top. (Do I need a bathroom on the bottom? I am pretty sure I do.) I just cant stand the pee on the fleece/towels. Would like to figure something out! Thanks :)

kp53179, you can get igloo's with a solid bottom, I've seen them but can't remember the name, if I can find them I'll try to post a link or at least the name. One of them might have all the things Buddy likes in a loo :), and catch to pee and poo like you want too ;).

trucoworld, I think its a kind of Mohamed/ Mountain sort of thing :) You can't decide where the loo should be and put it there in the hope that your piggie will come to it. You have to put the litter tray into their favorite corner for going into to pee, then take all the poo you find everywhere else and put it in the litter tray, in the hope they get the idea.

Thanks so much! I am going to buy one today! If anyone else reads this, give me your ideas on what you do! Especially with so many guinea pigs! It seems like my one pees like crazy can't imagine what two guinea pigs will be like when I get his friend! Thanks again M.and.F Piggies!

Aww man, that is only available in the Uk :( Thanks anyways!

If you know anyone in the UK, you could buy it and have it posted to them, then get them to send it on to you, it's not that heavy it shouldn't be all that expensive. I do this all the time with friends of mine your side of the pond, and they send me back stuff I can't get over here :)

Thanks for the idea but I don't know anyone in the UK! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.