Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Has anybody actually had any luck with litter training their guinea pigs? Before I didn't care where they pooed but it seems like their cage is being filled up with poo so fast. I want to train them to go in one spot.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I know Treen has had luck. I am trying with my pig. On Treens website www.treenspigs.com it tells you how she litter trained her guinea pigs.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, Oscar is potty trained almost perfectly..LoL

He's awesome with it.

It took me about 1 week before he was fully trained.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
Sounds wonderful. Do you know where on Treen's website is the potty training info? I couldn't find it.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Phoebe is potty trained for floortime. From the first time I put her out I selected an area, laid out newspaper there & placed a little plastic dish next to it with bedding (fresh with a bit of soiled) & hay. And ever since then it's been her place when she needs to go. Sometimes I'll get an occassional bean somewhere else, but that's it.

Too bad it's not that simple for her cage. It's one big toilet to her.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Here is the page its on (broken link removed)

critterlover

Cavy Slave
Thanks! This should be fun...

Treen

Cavy Slave
I've had success in the house, so they don't go outside their cage. But they wee and bean where they like in their cage and weren't remotely open to the suggestion of going in one area which is fair enough!

NoCableIsSafe

Cavy Slave
Is it ever too late to potty train your piggy

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
I didnt even have to try, with my girls. they always go only under their futon. i guess i got lucky with them.

kavykritter

Cavy Slave
i just heard about it, and i ordered the litter and the boxes and all that jazz, but it is not here yet, supposed to come in the next few days, how did you train yours? and do you have any tips or things, like what method di you use and stuff like that. thanks.

*LovesGinny*

Cavy Slave
citronsoul said:
Phoebe is potty trained for floortime. From the first time I put her out I selected an area, laid out newspaper there & placed a little plastic dish next to it with bedding (fresh with a bit of soiled) & hay. And ever since then it's been her place when she needs to go. Sometimes I'll get an occassional bean somewhere else, but that's it.

Too bad it's not that simple for her cage. It's one big toilet to her.
this is the same with Harry. She knows that if she's out of her cage, she can only go if there's bedding under her feet. her cage however, is free rain (sp?) and i don't know where all that poop comes from! holy crap! i can't imagine what it'll be like tomorrow when i get another one!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I put the litter boxes in his cage and I took a bit of soiled bedding and put it in the litter boxes and if he went outside the litter box I would scoop it up and put it in the litter box; I don't put bedding in the bottom so I can tell where it is. It seems like he gets into the litter box but his butt hangs out so because his but hangs out he goes on the ground even though he thinks he is going in the litter box.

I read that it is harder to teach older males and females you can teach them about anytime.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.