Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Litter Training my Piggy

Emma May

Cavy Slave
I got 2 new baby piggys and was wondering how i could teach them to use a litter tray, as when they are out of their cage they pee everywhere

It is very hard to litter train a guinea pig, and only few people manage to achieve to litter train their piggies. Just as something that might help you, I know that guinea pigs usually go the toilet where they eat, so if you put their food bowl in the litter box or their hay most of their mess will be in there, good luck.

Actual litter training will not likely happen. Your best bet is to take advantage of their nature; pigs tend to pee either where they are eating or where they are feeling safe, and not often in the middle of a big, open room. When I give my pigs free range time, the corners of the room have a little covered area that has some hay and pads for them to pee on. This encourages them to pee more in those areas.

That said, I haven't broken out the CSI kit, so accidents probably happen more than I am aware of.

Arthur uses a litter box, and I hope to have Penelope litter trained pretty soon. :cheerful:
The only way I've heard of Guinea Pigs being able to use a litter box consistently is if they generally go to the bathroom in one corner or area of their cage, then you can put a box in that area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.