Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter pan under the hay rack

• Thread starter smokeyandsnuggl
  • Start date

smokeyandsnuggl

Cavy Slave
I don't know about anyone else's piggies but mine tend to pee right under the hay rack because they spend so much time there. I put a litter box below the hay rack and it collects about 75% of pee. This might help with hay being attached to fleece and absorbing pee. I use CareFresh in the pan. This is not a corner pan but more rectangle with a high back and low front. Don't know if this will help anyone but good luck!:cheerful:

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I also do this. I stuff hi-back litter trays with hay and put some in racks and they pee and poop in the trays loads. It certainly saves a lot of cleaning work!

JennG

Cavy Slave
I made one out of extra coroplast and it works really well. It not only keeps the pee and poop more in there but the hay as well. I posted some of my pictures on the accessory section.

philosopig

Cavy Slave
it seems like this is a great idea, and I really want to do it. But doesn't it obstruct the perimeter of the cage and therefore hinder their lap-running?

JennG

Cavy Slave
I have my girls' kitchen area on the 2nd level. Its a 2x3. That way they have plenty of room to run on the main floor. I keep a water bottle, their hay rack, a hidey house, their pellet dishes and their veggie/fruit dishes.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Thanks for this thread smokeyandsnuggl.

I never really thought about putting pans under the hay racks.

You are so right...
My boys like to pee right under their hay racks.

Thanks for that tip.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the ideas. I bought a high back pan tonight and placed it under the hay rack. I'll see what happens maybe I might be lucky and they start doing there business more often there. I also put one similar to that on the lower level to see if they will use it. I do have one question... Do the pigs have more tendency to use the litter box if it is filled with certain materials? I see some people use small animal litters, hay, carefresh, etc... Is there something about hay that makes them want to use that material for the bathroom more?

Thanks

Lacy&Buttercup

Cavy Slave
I made a litter pan out of extra coroplast also and put it under the hay rack. I've put newspaper in it. I tried shavings but they tracked it all over the fleece with their little feet. I'm thinking of trying Yesterday's News in it. I also took out their other litter box to give them more room. So far, so good. No hay mess or urine outside the pan.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Mine is made out of an old sterio cover. There is a picture in the gallery. It works really nicely and is a little bigger than a 1x1 area.

Right now I am using pine in it, which can create a mess on the fleece. After this huge bag runs out I may switch to wood stove pellets.

smokeyandsnuggl

Cavy Slave
I glad this is working out for everyone. I actually started using this at floor time 1st. I was trying to contain my hoovering efforts. I use the guinea pig playpen (2) hooked together with a vinyl table cloth with towels on top of that at floor time. My hay rack hangs from that but inside the litter box. It helped alot. I carefresh for the litterbox, but thats because I don't want to vacum up any more bedding than I have to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.