Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Litter box stinks!!!

GPlove94

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs poop is fine but their pee just ultimately stinks. What do you guys use along w/ carefresh in your litter box and/or bedding? I was thinking about mixing yesterday's news with the carefresh in the litter box to lower the smell.

lissie

Cavy Slave
How often do you clean the litter box? You might need to change the bedding more often.

Wood pellets work well for litter box.

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
@lissie every I change their litter box every 3-4 days

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Have you tried spot cleaning it everyday then cleaning it all 3-4days? That should reduce the smell.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had tons of guinea pigs pee on me. Right on my chest under my nose. I don't think I've ever had a guinea pig have what I would call smelly pee. In fact, I find it not unpleasant at all. Can't quite put my finger on how to describe it, but I guess just some kind of intense veggie smell. So, when your guinea pig pees directly on you on a plain cotton tee shirt, what does that smell like? If you don't know, please try it. lol I would suggest that if it's anything other than a decent organic smell, there may be something amiss with your guinea pig, either health-wise or diet-wise. Once you've eliminated the actual pee as the smell, then I would guess that it's the combination of the urine and the bedding that isn't doing well. Also, when you say litter box, what do you mean exactly? Are they litter-box trained to a small litter box area? If it's soaked wet (in that they are using it that often and nowhere else), then you will need to clean it every day at least. Concentrated urine, no matter what the bedding will start to smell fairly quickly. Also, what kind of litter box? Plastic? How big? It could also be that left-over residue or bacteria from insufficiently super-cleaning a concentrated litter box may be encouraging some chemical reaction sooner in a small area. But, again, I think you need to isolate the problem by eliminating the possible causes one-by-one.

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
I have to clean one litter box every three days because it is larger and the other litter box every day. So maybe it is the size of the litter box or if hay gets peed on it is horrible. Otherwise clean it more often. Also I agree with @CavySpirit their urine doesn't smell that bad.

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
@CavySpirit their actual urine doesn't smell but the build up of urine in 3 days mix w/ the carefresh natural smell stinks. I guess I'll just start spot cleaning the litter box daily. As suggested by @Rabbit_Lover

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
The least I would clean the litter box is once a day.

And that is completely dumping what is in the box, cleaning the box and refreshing with new litter.

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles I think I'll start changing the bedding every day cause my 2 boys uses the litter box a lot.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I used to clean the litter box completely every 2-3 days. Had newspaper and carefresh in there. I now use wood pellets and uhaul liner or washable puppy pad underneath and it lasts about twice as long. At first sceptical, I noticed it soaks up urine wonderfully and contains the smell a lot better than carefresh.plus its cheaper if you get the 40lbs bag at lowes for 5bucks.

Frode789

Cavy Slave
I clean the litter box every 2 days, though I do spot clean it every day. Works fine. If I leave it for 3-4 days without doing anything it is going to start to smell :p I use wooden pellets, which absorbs urine nicely.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I clean the litter box every 2 days, though I do spot clean it every day. Works fine. If I leave it for 3-4 days without doing anything it is going to start to smell :p I use wooden pellets, which absorbs urine nicely.

I would like to know what these wood pellets are everyone keeps talking about! I am interested in trying them but want to make sure I get the right thing!

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I would like to know what these wood pellets are everyone keeps talking about! I am interested in trying them but want to make sure I get the right thing!

it's a 40lbs wood pellets bag from Lowes for about $4.95 or $4.99.
I'm not home to check the name/brand but my Lowes only had one type of wood pellets so I got the ones they had in stock.

here's a link to give you an idea but not sure it tells you the brand, it might vary locally but not sure:

(broken link removed)=

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Those don't specify what type of wood is used in them, so how would I know if they are piggy safe?

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I know, I just wanted to give you a rough idea. for that it might be best to check your local store to see what wood they use in it just in case it's different in different areas. since they're made of sawdust (if I remember right) I could imagine Lowes working with local wood places to make the pellets. sorry I'm not a big help right now, I'll make sure to check when I get home.
that being said..... I have not seen any of my piggies eat or even nibble on the wood pellets if you're worried about the wood. in contrast, they nibbled on the carefresh quite a bit every time I put in new stuff after cleaning their litter boxes which I know is only paperstuff but I didn't want it to expand in their bellies like gummy bears in ours and make them feel miserable so I switched to wood pellets and it's working great so far.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
No, I was worried about the essential oils in wood. Certain types of wood are harmful to their airways and what not. I will check into it, as a 40 lbs bag is on sale here for $4

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I have 2 pigs in each cage and change their litter box every other day. No smell. If I wait 3 days, it gets stinky.
I use Carefresh in a regular plastic litter box. I actually think it's the little bit of leftover hay that builds up on the bottom layer that starts to get stinky on day 3 because it has been peed on and gets "ripe."

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
That Eco Straw bedding it also at PetsMart.

Those who use wood pellets. What is the primary wood that your pellets are made of?

Other choices
Paper Pellets: (broken link removed)
Wood Pellets from Lowes : (broken link removed)
From Tractor Supply: (broken link removed)

rhogan

Cavy Slave
It should specify on the bag that they Hardwood Stove Pellets. I know several rat people who use them in their litter boxes and love them.

I do know that Harlan Teklad makes a hardwood pellet that people like to use as well, it's just finding it that can be an issue. Also I have heard great things about Aspen Supreme.

I was using an Aspen Pellet in my litter box but I don't like how it breaks down and expands into a powdery wood substance (this is when the water bottles were over the litter box). So I now don't have anything in my litter box but a flat rock to give it weight so Pop-Tart doesn't try to push it around. I just empty and clean my box out every day so I don't have an issue with smell.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.