Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece List your fleece layering technique & Can someone tell me more about terry fleece?

Re: List your fleece layering technique & Can someone tell me more about terry fleece

Re-asssuring! Thanks skinnyguineaus!

Re: List your fleece layering technique & Can someone tell me more about terry fleece

I was told once that quilt batting works too? is this true? if so, how absorbent is it this way if you layer it fleece/flannel, quilt batting, fleece/flannel? I have two sows in a 2x4 C&c with a 2x1 kitchen..

I was told once that quilt batting works too? is this true? if so, how absorbent is it this way if you layer it fleece/flannel, quilt batting, fleece/flannel? I have two sows in a 2x4 C&c with a 2x1 kitchen..

I'd love to know what quilt batting is as well. Is it cheap?

Cotton quilt batting would work, too. I tried polyester batting but it's not absorbent. "Quilted" means it's stitched to hold it together. It doesn't do anything for the absorbency or effectiveness of the padding. Mattress pads are quilted and they would work fine as the underlayer or middle layer of fleece pads. My guinea pigs chew on the Uhaul pads if they're exposed so I make sure it's always covered by my fleece pads. They don't chew the fleece. They must know the difference between cotton and polyester.

Cotton quilt batting would work, too. I tried polyester batting but it's not absorbent. "Quilted" means it's stitched to hold it together. It doesn't do anything for the absorbency or effectiveness of the padding. Mattress pads are quilted and they would work fine as the underlayer or middle layer of fleece pads. My guinea pigs chew on the Uhaul pads if they're exposed so I make sure it's always covered by my fleece pads. They don't chew the fleece. They must know the difference between cotton and polyester.

Where do you get those, and how much are they?

I'm not sure which ones you're talking about. You can buy quilted padding at fabric stores or just buy new mattress pads or get used ones from resale shops or Goodwill. Uhaul pads are sold at some Uhaul stores. You can find the locations online. They cost $7.95 for a piece that's about 68 x 82. Single ply cotton batting is sold at fabric stores and works well between fleece but will fall apart if it's not sewn into something. Prices vary by store.

I'm not sure which ones you're talking about. You can buy quilted padding at fabric stores or just buy new mattress pads or get used ones from resale shops or Goodwill. Uhaul pads are sold at some Uhaul stores. You can find the locations online. They cost $7.95 for a piece that's about 68 x 82. Single ply cotton batting is sold at fabric stores and works well between fleece but will fall apart if it's not sewn into something. Prices vary by store.

I know about the uhaul I was talking about quilted padding, and the mattress pads. I need an online location, I can't go to the stores because of transport issues. I rememeber looking up mattress pads and they were like $200 and I don't think thats the ones youre talking about.

You can post an ad on Craigslist and meet the person in a neutral location near you to pick it up. You can get used mattress pads really cheap. Do you have any churches near you in NYC? They probably have rummage sales. Find out if there are any garage sales near you. You probably have a Freecycle network near you, too. Do you work or are you in school? Network with family and friends online to see if anyone has any they are getting rid of. I've had coworkers give me old towels and fleece when they found out I used them for my pigs. Goodwill or Salvation Army might be accessible by mass transit near you.
I know about the uhaul I was talking about quilted padding, and the mattress pads. I need an online location, I can't go to the stores because of transport issues. I rememeber looking up mattress pads and they were like $200 and I don't think thats the ones youre talking about.

I wanted to add that I see Craigslist ads all the time where people are willing to meet up with others in downtown Chicago, right in the Loop so anything is possible. Mattress pads aren't big so they'd easily fit in a bag.

Okay, I will look on CL, and post an ad. Thanks.

These are some cotton batting that you can buy online.
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Mattress pads:
Walmart.com: 250-Thread Count Luxury Cotton Mattress Pad: Furniture
Walmart.com: Bedsack 200-Thread Count Cotton Flexwall Mattress Pad: Furniture

Thanks soo much. One of the links of the batting, it looked like a brown paper bag. Is the batting inside? I was confused at that one. I will try the uhaul pads, and buy a mattress pad. Does anyone know of there was a comparison thread of the three? I'd rather not make one. I just want to use the best one since they are all affordable.

Thanks soo much. One of the links of the batting, it looked like a brown paper bag. Is the batting inside? I was confused at that one. I will try the uhaul pads, and buy a mattress pad. Does anyone know of there was a comparison thread of the three? I'd rather not make one. I just want to use the best one since they are all affordable.
Yes, it's probably inside the bag.
I haven't seen a comparison thread on uhaul, mattress pad or cotton batting.

I've made fleece pads with polyester batting, towels, cotton batting and uhaul pads. I even took them apart after using them and washing them a few times to see how well they dried. The terry cloth was too heavy and stayed damp even though it felt dry on the outside. Polyester batting isn't absorbent so the urine just passed through to the layer under the pads. They were lightweight and dried fast but seemed to have an odor to the them when they were damp. Cotton batting is basically mattress pads that aren't stitched. They are thinner than uhaul pads (they come in different thicknesses) and are very lightweight. They have worn very well inside the pads and dry completely on the inside. They are thinner than uhaul pads so you need an absorbent layer underneath. Uhaul pads are thicker but I found some fall apart faster than others. They have held up inside the fleece pads and are more absorbent than the cotton batting because they are thicker. I would only sew a single layer in because the thicker your inside layer is, the more likely it won't be completely cleaned in the wash cycle nor dried completely and could be a breeding ground for bacteria. I find a single layer of uhaul padding between two layers of fleece works well. I still put a single layer of uhaul padding underneath since they tend to pee in a few spots. There's no need to sew a waterproof layer to it because your coroplast is waterproof and you can just quickly wipe it down after spraying with 50/50 vinegar and water each time you clean the cage. The most important thing to me was that they would be totally clean after washing and that they would not be damp after drying. Uhaul pads are the cheapest unless you can get mattress pads from a resale shop or used. They come in 100% cotton or a cotton/polyester blend. I would assume that 100% cotton would be the best.

I have liners which I made using 1 layer of polar fleece and 2 layers of Uhaul pads or 2 layers of zorb. I prefer uhaul only because its cheaper. zorb is quite expensive if you have a large cage 2x3 or bigger. I only bought some to try. 4 yards at 6.95 a yard (45'' wide) only gave me enough to make 1 cage liner of 2 zorb layers. and with shipping it was almost 50 dollars. I have to say though that zorb works wonderfully I really love it. It's great on odor and dries quickly, really light weight and easy to sew into liners. If you have the money i recommend buying zorb, if not Uhaul is pretty good too for absorbancy. The only thing is that I would recommend if you are going to use uhaul is to sew a waterproof type of fabric to the bottom layer of your liner. I use sports nylon and it will help keep the moisture inside. This also will help during the wash because the Uhaul pads tend to produce a lot of lint during washes and sewing a bottom layer will reduce disintegration.

If you sew fleece on both sides of your pads, the uhaul padding isn't exposed at all and doesn't fall apart. You can also flip them and use both sides before you wash them. The inner layer also completely dries as long as it's not too thick. I agree that uhaul pads give off a lot of lint when washed separately or exposed. I experimented with different wash cycles. The got ratty when I used the heavy duty cycle but the normal cycle was fine. I wash my fleece pads with uhaul padding in the middle on the heavy duty cycle with no problem.

OK I was looking into this as well.
As I've read alot of good on here about fleece and the absorbent padding has been answered in this thread.

I have a couple of questions though that may be kind of dumb, So please bear with me. :eek:

Could you use Quilted Bed Pads for your center layer?

OR could you use Wool Blankets for the center layer?

And for the stupidest of all questions how do the piggies keep warm on the fleece only bedding?
Or do you provide extra snuggies for their houses or hidies?

My wife use to sew but doesn't anymore because of her being disabled and she has lots of leg problems as well as problems now with blood clots.

SO if I do this I will be the one doing the sewing, I know the basics to be able to do this my Mother taught me when I was young and my wife has taught me some while she was still sewing, and she will be guiding me on what to do... ;)
Sorry I've been of the old school as far as bedding is concerned, BUT if it's better for my little Princess I want to do it.

Mostly off topic, but as another member was annoyed by hair sticking to their fleece, I had that same problem with my rabbits hair, only it was on my clothes. I solved that by using a lint roller, and it worked perfectly! Also, as for the poops, pu can easily buy a $20 Shop Vac and regularly clean the fleece with it daily so they are not sitting in it. hope I helped! :)

I use washable incontinence pads under fleece and lightweight blankets. The pads pull the moisture down like they would on a bed to keep your sheets dry.

We change the bedding once a week for popeye and samson and twice a week for brutus who likes to play in his water bottle, I don't know what he does but he will get the bottle to pour water!!! With twice daily sweep ups in all 3 cages, more if someone is being particularly messy.

Bru likes to tunnel so I make sure he has a loose layer to tunnel under. I also use clean stepping stones under their water bottles to catch drips (not that it helps when brutus decides to play). Chewing hasn't been an issue, but they have a ton of hay in their cages plus wooden blocks so that might be a deterrent to chewing up the bedding.

I have a 2x5 cage. It's covered with 2 layers of u-haul pad and 1 layer of fleece. One end of the cage is a coroplast litter box (probably about 1.5x2) as a kitchen area. At first I used Yesterday's News but found it to be smelly and heavy. Now I use aspen with carefresh on top and that works really well. I keep my hay in a corner litter box because one of my pigs loves to play in the hay.

As for maintenance, everyday I scoop the poop, hay, and loose litter off the hay with a ladle. It works really well because it just glides along the fleece. I remove all the hay from the litter box, especially any hay that might be wet, because let me tell you, pee soaked hay stinks something awful. I can get orchard grass from a horse farm super cheap, so "wasting" hay isn't a big deal.

I haven't experimented with how long I can actually go without cleaning it. I change the fleece and litter once a week. They also have little tidy pads I made that get washed then too. The U-Haul pads I flip over and wash every 2 weeks.

Edit: Thought I should I had I have two young sows that don't seem to be huge pee factories (yet.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.