Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece List your fleece layering technique & Can someone tell me more about terry fleece?

Pinkstiletto66

Cavy Slave
List your fleece layering technique & Can someone tell me more about terry fleece?

Hi. Now that I decided to try the fleece out can you simply list your layering technique, i.e. 1. Fleece, 2. Mattress pad/uhaul paul 3. Towel, etc.? Whatever you use can you list it, from 1. being the top later, going down, and tell if you have tried more than one layering pattern or type of layer.

What I am looking to do in order of importance is find something that is cost effective, requires less laundering ( I only have a washing machine, and I notice hang drying doesnt work too well and my fleece blanket smells. So, I intend on going to the laundromat.) Also absorbancy, If I need to double on something that would be a plus, I'd rather go to the laundromat less times, perhaps once every two to three weeks.

Another thing, in that helpful thread about fleece that led me here to creating this, someone mentioned terry fleece, and when I looked it up I couldn't find it. So if its' better I'd get it, but to make my life easier, I'd settle for buying the regular fleece from joann.com or picotexiles. Another thing someone mentioned getting a mattress pad, but when I googled that I saw prices like $200, and I doubt that's what they were talking about. Can someone provide me a link to the correct things. Thanks.

Re: List your fleece layering technique & Can someone tell me more about terry fleece

Personally I use fleece on top and then uhaul pads underneath. Fleece works best on top because it allows anything wet to pass through it. That's why it dries fairly quickly.
I used to use towels underneath and I had to do laundry every couple of days... Uhaul pads are much more effective and absorbent in my opinion. As long as I spot clean every few days, the cage doesn't start smelling until a good 6 or 7 weeks. If you order uhaul pads online they are about $8 (U.S.). They are pretty big and you can fold them in half or more.
(broken link removed)

Re: List your fleece layering technique & Can someone tell me more about terry fleece

Thanks a bunch.. 6-7 weeks is what I am talking about!!!! How many pads do you use? Someone suggested making two for my 2x4 cage, so does that mean cutting them in half? The pads look like a giant sheet of fleece at the site. I have a 2x4 bottom, 2x2 top, and am planning on getting 4 yards, just as an estimate. Do I need one pad, or two?

Top- 1 layer of fleece. I buy the fleece at Walgreens or Rite-aid. It is the fleece blankets that are 50" by 60". Until Sunday at Walgreens the fleece blankets are on sale for $2. Normally they are $5.
Bottom- 2 layers of bath towels. I personally by them cheaply used at thrift stores, garage sales, etc.
You will need at least 2 sets of fleece/towels, so when one set is being washed the other is in the cage. I can buy 2 sets of the fleece and towels for a total of about $10. I have been using the same sets for over a year now and they are still going strong. So really, the only cost is the laundry costs.
This is a super cheap bedding option, and it is the best and most comfortable for the piggies.

I do fleece, then two towels. And it works pretty well, I sweep up the poops every couple days and change the bedding after a week. But I noticed poop on my pigs claws today and the amount of hair stuck to the fleece really is a pain, so I'm switching back to bedding...

I made fleece pads; fleece on two sides sewed together with either a single layer of cotton batting or uhaul pads in the middle. More than one layer in the middle won't dry well. I tested it and dried some and took them apart and the center was still damp even though it felt dry on the outside. I put a single layer of uhaul padding underneath. I use one or two fleece pads to fit the length of my cage. It works well because I can clean the cage and replace with fresh fleece pads while my pigs are still in there. They just move to the side of the cage I'm not working on. With fleece, you really need to be sure your cage is large enough for the number of pigs you have or you will have a lot of poop pile up if you don't sweep or shake it out a few times a day.

I made fleece pads; fleece on two sides sewed together with either a single layer of cotton batting or uhaul pads in the middle. More than one layer in the middle won't dry well. I tested it and dried some and took them apart and the center was still damp even though it felt dry on the outside. I put a single layer of uhaul padding underneath. I use one or two fleece pads to fit the length of my cage. It works well because I can clean the cage and replace with fresh fleece pads while my pigs are still in there. They just move to the side of the cage I'm not working on. With fleece, you really need to be sure your cage is large enough for the number of pigs you have or you will have a lot of poop pile up if you don't sweep or shake it out a few times a day.

I have two piggies. I intend on doing a poop sweep. Are there fleece pictures on here? Anyone with their fleece setup?

Top- fleece
Middle- uhaul pad
Bottom- fleece

There is a bottom layer of fleece because my liners are reversable.
My kitchen area has puppy pads as bedding and they are changed daily. I only use 1/2 a pad per kitchen.
My fleece liner has been in since last Friday and it does NOT smell one bit. I Vaccum the cage daily just to get the poop out. My guys use the kitchen as their litter box. I made the kitchen with a rubbermaid container and places my hay in a heavy utensil holder. I don't waste hay and the rubbermaid container is easy to wipe down as it's plastic.
I'm loving this arrangement. I will post pictures later today.

Ps: I own skinnies. The pee and poop WAY more than furries do!

Here are a ton of fleece bedding pics: Fleece - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

I have four sows. They do spend a fair amount of time out for floortime most days, but they can and do make a mess in the 2 x 5 cage. Here is what I often do on busy weeks. I put a custom made fleece over mattress pad down. THEN I cover it with towels, 2 thicknesses, then I put a cheap fleece throw over that. I scoop poops often, but after a few days I take the top fleece and towels off, leaving the perfectly clean pad below. It makes a fresh cage and I can save the soiled bedding and wash it all at once.

I use a 12 pk. soda carton clipped to the cage for a hay rack. A cereal box works well, also. Cut a hole for the pigs to get at the hay. Stuff it in from the top. Under that and under the water bottles I have a large lid from a Rubbermaid bin. I put a towel or puppy pad on it and cover the entire thing with a baby pack and play sheet, tucking excess under the lid. It gets soiled each day so I take that off and replace with fresh.

I have huge stacks of towels that friends give me all the time. From wash cloths that I use with pieces of fleece under hideys, to large beach towels and cotton table cloths. People are glad to have someone use the old towels they'd normally toss out or use for rags. I am a big fan of baby stuff as the small sheets wash very well (stains come out ) , hold up to many washes and dry quickly. Receiving blankets are used for corner tents or under fleece pieces for floor time cuddle pads. Cute patterns and very durable stuff and almost always free if you ask around with friends, Craigslist or Freecycle.

How many pads do you use? Someone suggested making two for my 2x4 cage, so does that mean cutting them in half? The pads look like a giant sheet of fleece at the site.

You can cut them in half if you want. I just fold mine twice. One side of my cage is a 2x4 and the other half is a 2x3 so I bought 2 uhaul pads (one for each side)
You don't necessarily need to fold them twice like I do. If you bought one you could cut a little bit off and use it for your 2x2 half and still half plenty of fabric left.

I have two piggies. I intend on doing a poop sweep. Are there fleece pictures on here? Anyone with their fleece setup?

This is my cage. I have two rocks and two 5 lb weight that hold down the corners of the middle fleece piece to keep my digger from going under it.

[GuineaPigCages.com] List your fleece layering technique & Can someone tell me more about terry fleece?

1) fleece
2)puppy pads
3) towel
4) newpaper
I use this so it has quite some padding and is very cozy.

These are a few of the older ones I made so you can see how they're stitched around the edges.

[GuineaPigCages.com] List your fleece layering technique & Can someone tell me more about terry fleece?

where can i find u haul blankets? i can't seem to find them on google.

They sell them at some, but not all, Uhaul Stores. Look up Uhaul Stores in your area to see if they carry them. I had to call around to find them around my area. Make sure you get the pads, not the blankets.

where can i find u haul blankets? i can't seem to find them on google.

Any experience that piggys chew on the fleece/liner?

Any experience that piggys chew on the fleece/liner?
Mine do NOT! and because the Uhaul pads are heavy my piggies do not tunnel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.