Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Liner, Flat or wrapped over sides? What do you do?

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
With the new enclosure we are having to make all new liners and wanted to know your thoughts and experiences before we make the new ones.
Is it easier to use a liner that lays inside of the coro flat or one that wraps over the sides?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
In all my cages, I wrap the fleece over the side as in each cage I happen to have a pig that if possible will dig and crawl under the fleece.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I lost my mind when I tried to have fleece that just lays in the bottom. Both my pigs poop in the corners, so it would get under the fleece and towel and just make a mess. They also burrow at any chance they get, because laying on wet towels is apparently a nice sensation.

I would definitely recommend having the fleece go up and over the sides, and if you have especially trouble some pigs, clip it with binder clips (felix hates them :mischievo)

boofp

Cavy Slave
I use liner that is in flat and my pigs are fine with it. so its all good.

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
I use flat in my cages and have never had an issue. If they have a sleeping bag or tunnel it will satisfy their burrowing instincts.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I wrap the fleece over the walls and keep them in place with binder clips. I only have 2 inch high walls. I like the look of it better, it keeps the coroplast walls cleaner, and I'm sure my naughty girl would burrow if she had the chance.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
I used to tuck it over the side but now it lays flat, Rhino doesn't try to burrow. it's probably a personality thing.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I prefer my liners with sides because they seem to fit better and I don't have to scrub the coroplast as much, plus there aren't poos slipping down the sides. There are issues with having sides on your liner though:

If your coro fits snugly in the grids then it's "easier" to have a liner without sides - or if you want sides on it, it's easier to have thinner material than fleece for the sides.

Also, if you change the size of your cage, it's harder to use the liners with sides...

Just my $0.02 :)

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
We use flat liner that's a little bit larger, and instead of draping it over the sides, we leave the overhang loose in the cage. They burrow in that rather than burrow under the liner itself. We also have several loose pieces of scrap fleece that they like to play and hide under.

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
We did change the enclosure without putting any thought on the liners, now we are stuck overlapping two of the old ones. It is a mess right now! But we have bought new fleece and are gathering your input to make new ones. We still need to get more uhaul pads though. Last time we made them double sided, nice fleece on top, then two layers or a folded uhaul pad, then another nice fleece so we could flip them over after washing them and have a fresh new look. For more color options. If we did do the sides it would make this more difficult to do.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I prefer flat ones. I made fleece pads with fleece one both sides and one layer of uhaul padding in the middle. My pads are slightly longer than half the length of the cage. I use two per cage and overlap them in the middle. I can take out one at a time which allows me to clean out one side of the cage while they go over to the other side. It's also easy to clean up droppings. I just lift the corners of the pads and the droppings roll to the middle and I sweep them up. I have a digger in one cage. I put two pebblestones on the sides in the middle to hold down the fleece and it keeps her from getting under there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.