Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Limping back leg

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
Oh boy. Well I'm preparing myself for the worst,this morning I noticed one of my girls not putting any weight on her back leg. (Not sure if it makes a difference that all of her but her face is white and relatively smaller than her sister[theyll be 1 between may and July])

I honestly don't know when it happened/started bc my husband did all the pig stuff this weekend bc our (almost) 3 yr old has been super sick (to be specific most of her bodily fluids have ended up on me)

I've got an appt tmrw at 430 and she's sectioned off in a 1x2 area until then. I'm pretty much preparing myself for the worst. Just recently our financial situation changed and won't be able to afford X-rays or surgery so I've already made the decision that if it comes to that we'll surrender her and ill include a 2x3,fleece,whatever accessories and hay I can spare with her. Ugh I don't know why I'm posting,maybe just venting its been a really rough sleepless 5 days

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
Saw a large mess up lol. * her body is all white except her face*

CharScoobJoey

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry about your pig. :( It is so hard to loose a loved one. I wish you luck and I'll keep your little pig in my thoughts. <3

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I just had this same predicament. My girl came up limping on her back leg, too. After the vet visit, he didn't see broken bones and determined it was only a soft tissue injury. Maybe the doc can feel out the issue? Good luck.

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
I just had this same predicament. My girl came up limping on her back leg, too. After the vet visit, he didn't see broken bones and determined it was only a soft tissue injury. Maybe the doc can feel out the issue? Good luck.
Goodness I'm sure hoping so I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst outcome so I'm not unexpectedly [emotionally] crushed

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Goodness I'm sure hoping so I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst outcome so I'm not unexpectedly [emotionally] crushed

I understand. I will be optimistic for you and believe a little pain relief is all your girl needs *fingers crossed too*

madrae

Cavy Slave
I had a piggy with a broken ankle at 9 weeks old. Her entire treatment cost $138. I thought that was amazing. The ankle made any surgery impossible. She had a itty bitty cast, metacam for pain, one xray, and my vet never charged us for the 4 follow up visits. So there is hope, it might not be bad. And it might not be broken.

There was one thing my vet suggested, to save money, was any follow up xrays she planned to do on her "dog dental machine" (I'm pretty sure that is what she called it). Smaller machine, ray would be 1/2 price. But we didn't need any follow ups.

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
Update: vet said she can't feel any breaker fracture. Nothing appears red or swollen so they sent us home with anti inflammortory,have to keep her isolated and go from there. She did say she thinks Hollywood is a satin.(does that mean her sister is too?)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The sister may not be a satin, but may still carry the osteodystrophy gene.

You'll need to figure a way to increase her calcium, and a sun lamp wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd also always have a warm place in the cage where she can lie if she wants to. There's some material on osteodystrophy over at Guinea Lynx you might want to take a look at.