Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lily is Missing :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecrazycatlady

Cavy Slave
So, I came back from FL on saturday and headed straight to see my babies (my cats). Mooch, Hawk, Spaz, Blu, Anubis and even Belle (she's antisocial) were all happy to see me. Then I started calling Lily, but she didn't answer, but it was pouring rain, so I didn't think anything of it. But I've stood outside calling her for at least an hour everyday since and have seen no sight of her. I hear no mews, I see no sign of her at all. I went and knocked on a few doors, followed closely by Lily's sister Blu, who I assume misses her just as much as I do, and nobody else has seen her either. My neighbor knew exactly which cat I was talking about, since she agrees with me that Lily is the most beautiful, most lovable cat we have ever seen.

I love all my cats, but Lily is my little princess. Of all the cats to go missing, Lily is definitely the most devastating. :guilty: I am heartbroken, and looking for support or ideas to help me find her. I have posted an ad on craigslist, I am starting a website to post around on facebook, and I am going to be calling all the shelters and vets in the area as soon as I have a phone I can use. I started to lose hope at first, but I am trying to stay positive for the sake of my kitty.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Could she be locked in a neighbor's garage or barn? That happened to one of our cats long ago. We heard her yowling when we were out searching. Had to track them down to call them as they were away and get a hidden key to get her out.

Africa

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear about your missing cat, that makes me sad because my Mom passed away recently, so I guess Im emotional about everything, but my Mom's cat, a beautiful Siamese named Jasmine was everything to her. Jasmine is the queen and I love her so much, if anything had to happen to her it would be the same as losing my Mom all over again.

I agree with Duffinvt, she might be stuck somewhere she cant get out of, so not necessarily 'lost'. Jasmine got locked in our garage once before and even in the linen closet - only a couple hours though - you know how inquisitive they are they could end up in the wierdest of places and if they are hidden they could get locked up where ever they end up.

thecrazycatlady

Cavy Slave
Yeah when I went and talked to my neighbor, she said that she found Blu stuck in her garage the other day. She is going to keep an eye out for her, so I'm sure if Lily gets stuck in her house, she'll let me know. The main problem is that most of the neighbor's aren't even home and everytime I go to their houses, nobody answers the door.

PiggiePaws

Cavy Slave
I've lost a kitty before, it is so scary and devastating. I really, really hope you can find her.

If you have a scanner, then you can make fliers with a picture of her on it. If you don't, then just make a flier with a description of her. Then you can go to some local stores or post offices and ask if you can hang one up. Pass them out, too.

I can't think of anything else you could do. Just walk around outside a lot, calling for her.

Africa

Cavy Slave
If she is locked up somewhere in someone's house Im sure she is fine. Cats, as Im sure you know are very resilient, I remember watching Animal planet where this one cat was roaming around a shipping warehouse and the cat was accidentally wrapped up in a box that was shipped overseas - to somewhere like Germany from the U.S.

The owners had given up hope and a couple months later they got an international call from that place - Germany or wherever it was - someone had opened the box to find their cat!

So dont give up hope!

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry that you lost your cat, I know how you feel. When I was younger, we had a indoor/outdoor cat that went missing.

However, I also have a story to give you some hope. A few years ago, some distant family friend had a cat that they were caring for. This cat was really the son of the family friends and they were just watching it until the son got out of college. The family friend HATED cats, so she drove the cat from Ohio to Tennessee when she went on a road trip. She dumped the cat at a farm and left. About two months later, the cat showed back up at the house in Ohio, meowing. The family friend decided to give up and just keep the cat.

erinrenae80

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Have you moved in the past year or so? Or did you get her from somewhere fairly close by? My cat went back to my old house when I left for a week. It took about another three weeks before I found him. He kept hiding in some of his favorite hideouts whenever I went back there looking for him. Finally one day I just happened to see him. He was very happy to see me. :) I really hope you find your fur-baby!

thecrazycatlady

Cavy Slave
This is the only house she's ever known, we got her, her sister Blu, and her brother Dare when they were just a month old, and we're the only owners they've known since. We've had them for about 8 or 9 months and she's never wandered off further than the neighbor's yard.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
We've had them for about 8 or 9 months and she's never wandered off further than the neighbor's yard.
Hey! I have an idea. Why don't you keep them inside? That way, you don't have to worry about them wandering off, being attacked by an animal or stolen by a human. And, to boot, you also won't have to worry about the devastation they cause to the local wildlife. Perfect.

flomopiggie5

Cavy Slave
I hope you find your kitty, and i also agree with Paula, keeping a cat indoors keeps them safe, it was proven that indoor cats live significantly longer than outdoor.

Don't loose hope though! Just keep posting flyers, maybe someone found her! Is she micro-chipped?

piggy2470

Cavy Slave
Good luck finding her! I am so sorry...

If you have a general idea of where she might be, does she have a favorite treat? Maybe that might lure her in.

thecrazycatlady

Cavy Slave
Hey! I have an idea. Why don't you keep them inside? That way, you don't have to worry about them wandering off, being attacked by an animal or stolen by a human. And, to boot, you also won't have to worry about the devastation they cause to the local wildlife. Perfect.

Hey! I have an idea too, how about we skip the sarcasm? It's pretty much the last thing I need right now. I asked for ideas on how to FIND her, so your comment is irrelevant. You don't know the situation, so if your intention is just to make me feel worse, then please save it for another time.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Hey! I have an idea too, how about we skip the sarcasm? It's pretty much the last thing I need right now. I asked for ideas on how to FIND her, so your comment is irrelevant. You don't know the situation, so if your intention is just to make me feel worse, then please save it for another time.

My problem is that you have other cats and they are outside as well.

As for finding her, well the chances of her being eaten are pretty high.

IrisxMinerva

Cavy Slave
I agree with thecrazycatlady, right now it's important for her to find the cat and leaving negative comments doesn't help her at all right now. Even if you think cats should be kept inside in the first place, (I wouldn't let my cats go outside either) but that's not the issue right now. She has her cat to worry about now, when she finds her it's ok to suggest to keep the cats inside.
Did you call all the rescues in your area yet? There's a big chance they have your cat.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It's certainly not irrelevant to the cats you still have living outside. Statistically cats that live outside versus inside live drastically shorter lives. They risk attacks from other animals, humans, being hit by cars, diseases, and a whole host of other issues that their indoor counterparts don't face. Not to mention the damage THEY cause to the neighborhood and wildlife in the area.

I honestly think the chances of you finding this cat are relatively low, especially if she's not a cat that wanders off frequently. For the health and well being of your other cats, consider keeping themsafe and protected and by keeping them inside or confined to your own yard.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I agree with thecrazycatlady, right now it's important for her to find the cat and leaving negative comments doesn't help her at all right now. Even if you think cats should be kept inside in the first place, (I wouldn't let my cats go outside either) but that's not the issue right now. She has her cat to worry about now, when she finds her it's ok to suggest to keep the cats inside.
Did you call all the rescues in your area yet? There's a big chance they have your cat.

What about the cats that are outside right now? The longer they are kept outside it increases the risk of another cat disappearing.

I know things like this can be hard to hear but someones got to say it. Reading this seriously urkes me and to think that people can say "it's okay" when it's not at all is just ridiculous.

These situations are easily avoidable now is the time to learn so that change can be made to keep the cats that are alive safe.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have to agree about not keeping cats outdoors. Last week we had a severe storm and there was a poor cat sitting under the table on our deck. I couldn't let it in because I have my guinea pigs in an uncovered cage. I felt really sorry for it. The risk of disease, being killed by a predator or being struck by a car are just too great to keep a pet outdoors.

thecrazycatlady

Cavy Slave
Okay guys so thanks for not helping me AT ALL.

I repeat, you have NO IDEA what my situation is, you're all just spouting off and making assumptions when the ONLY thing I asked for was help FINDING her. But apparently none of you care about that. Honestly, I should have known better coming to you guys for help because nobody bothers to get a full story, they just assume what they want and shoot off their opinion.

I thank the people that actually answered the question I asked rather than giving me information that does not help my situation.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I thank the people that actually answered the question I asked rather than giving me information that does not help my situation.
It would help the cats you currently have alive to keep them inside or confined to your own yard.

I realize you probably don't want to hear it, but an animal left roaming unattended in a neighborhood, particularly while you aren't home, isn't likely to fare terribly well on its own.

I hope you find your cat and I hope you change your mind and make sure your "babies" are safe by keeping them inside and on your property.

Status
Not open for further replies.