Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Life after guinea pigs :(

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Hey all,

My wife and I have spent the last 7-8 years adopting (male) guinea pigs into our home. We currently are on our 4th and 5th ones. However, we have a child now and our house isn't the biggest as we live in New York City. The pigs currently live in a 2x6 cage on top of a table and they seem to be enjoying it. We've been discussing on whether or not we want to continue raising guinea pigs given that they take up a nontrivial amount of space in our small house. We haven't made a decision yet, but since we've never had a lone pig before (we've always quickly adopted a new one whenever one passed on), what is the best approach?

One of our pigs is current about 4.5 years old (we've had him since he was 2 months) and the most recent addition is likely significantly younger as he's grown in the few months since we adopted him. It's likely that in the next in 2 years the older one will pass on. If we do decide that we're not going to raise guinea pigs anymore, should I re-home the remaining one or just let him live his life out by himself?

On one hand, we know guinea pigs do better in at least a pair since they're social animals. On the other hand, there's the sentiment that they're ours and we don't really want to give them up if we don't have to. I suppose an alternative approach would be to specifically look to adopt an older pig and just hope the math lines up eventually, but there's no guarantee that'll ever happen.

It seems like the right thing to do would be to re-home the survivor if we do decide on no more pigs, but I would love to hear any other opinions or advice, especially those that have given up raising guinea pigs and still frequent these forums.

Thank you!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Some guinea pigs do okay on there own after the death of a cage mate, others really do not.

I would look for another older cage mate if the remaining one is younger than 6 and is in good health, or doesn't do ok on their own. If you find yourself in this situation you could maybe even consider reaching out to a guinea pig rescue and see if they have any long term foster cases that you could take in on a fostering-only basis as a companion until your current one passes.

If they are older than 6, or not in good health, and seem to do okay on their own then I would just let them live the remainder of their life with extra attention from people.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

dorisrjohnson

Cavy Gazer
I think if you like to grow, keep doing it.