Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lice Treatment and Other Ideas

BaysideBandGeek

Cavy Slave
My pigs have been having lice problems for a while and I just wanted to update that my pigs are pretty much lice free!

I called a guinea pig Vet to ask what to do and he said use a dog flea and tick shampoo to kill the lice. We got the cheapest dog shampoo at Petsmart and washed them about once a week when we cleaned the cage. I washed their cozies and towels and cleaned the cage and put new litter in and now they are lice free!

Just to be safe, I plan to continue washing them untill they go to the classroom.

Also, their cage has been extended and is now 9 sq ft. They popcorn all the time and Missy loves to run laps and launch herself through her "Fridge Pack" Cardboard soda can box. I highly recommend those. Great tunnels. They run so much and so fast that I can hear them 2 rooms over! They run and sometimes hit the walls because they run so fast, its so funny! I also made a Pigloo out of one of those gallon ice cream buckets I've saved forever. The love to run in it and I have enough now to last me a life time.

Just thought I'd pass my ideas around, If you are unsure about the lice treatment, call another vet. The Guinea pig vet told me that their own treatment their was pretty much the same thing. A lice shampooing. I saved myself 30$ for something I did at home for 5$. They are going to the vet this August for a check up however.

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
I'm glad everything is going so well for you now.

Good luck in the classroom this fall, and keep us updated!!!!
Marie

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.