Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Liberal Rescue- What Would You Do?

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
As you may know, I'm a guinea pig lover, pet owner wannabe. I'm in the process of researching and setting up my guinea pig kingdom before I actually get guinea pigs.

I just realized that the list I thought had so many private guinea pig owners in Michigan, is really a general list of people with guinea pigs (and supplies) in various states of this country.

I found a rescue in the list looking for unwanted animals. So I decided to give them a ring and see what they were all about. I explained my situation, being clear that we were looking for information and would not be able to adopt right away. And so the conversation began.

First, I asked him if he had a web site. He said no because he's had trouble with it. OK, fair enough. Not every one is computer savvy, and not all web hosts are created equally either.

As we continued speaking, he said he is currently looking for a male goat to breed to his female goat. The gears in my head slammed to a screeching halt. Breeding? What kind of rescue breeds animals? :confused: He also said he breeds rabbits. Huh? (I was too amazed to ask if he breeds guinea pigs, and he didn't mention it. Sorry.)

I explained I would be looking for guinea pigs in a couple of months and asked him how many guinea pigs he had. He told me he sold his last guinea pig this past fall and hasn't had any more in the year that he's been open. Ok, not much chance he'll have guinea pigs when I'm ready for them but, more importantly, would I really want to adopt from this guy any way? Red flags are already going up in my head.

He tells me that he does have rabbits if I'd like to adopt one of them instead.

Ok, first, I just got done saying I'm setting up for guinea pigs, not rabbits. Second, how many rescues would actually suggest an animal other than what was requested? (No honestly, I haven't worked with any rescues before. Are there any that would just pop off and say that?)

I explain to him that I am aware rabbits can have a heart attack and die of fright if they are surprised to suddenly, and that I'm concerned I'll have a tick at home and scream and give the poor rabbit a heart attack. He tells me he has kids and that they handle them every day. Which would be enough (information), but he adds, "I doubt they'd die of a heart attack, unless you swung them around the room or something." and laughs! That's right, he laughed.

I'm stunned by the whole tone of the conversation. I thank him and let him know I'll be getting in contact with him later this fall to see if he has any guinea pigs when we're ready to adopt.

I just sat in the chair, stunned, scratching my forehead and trying to piece together the conversation. My husband chuckled at my apparent (and, I know, amusing) bewilderment and asked me what was wrong. So I told him about the conversation I'd just had. So I've been sitting here for the past 20-30 minutes, still trying to make sense of it all. We've pretty much both agreed this sounds like a farm not a rescue. I think I'd be hard pressed to adopt from them. He doesn't seem to take rescue work seriously.

Now I ask you, if you were in my situation, what would you think? What would you do, if any thing? Thanks for listening, I do appreciate the chance to share my thoughts and feelings in this process.

I'd like to add, I don't think he'd actually hurt an animal, but laughing after saying something like that seems strange...

I think I'd trust your instincts. He sounds like he was obnoxious, and I wouldn't want to give him any financial gain to use for breeding.

Anyone can say they rescue animals... even hoarders. I don't think that person runs a rescue. You can ask a rescue if they're if they're licensed by the Dept of Agriculture, which carries some weight. They can inspect licensed rescues and their foster homes at any time so it keeps them on their toes.

Seems more like a breeder than a rescue, but the guy probably thinks himself as a rescue. :confused:

We have an educational petting zoo where we use rescued animals to educate the public about the care of animals. Hopefully preventing people from buying animals that will only be given up or abused is our goal. We are licensed by the USDA and have a number. I would expect that he doesn't have a license because in order to be approved you have to show proof that you aren't breeding animals. Also, we have to document who we get animals from so that they can locate possible hoarders or breeders without licenses.

Thank you, every one, for your great opinions.

@cibrown Thank you, espeically, for your expert opinion- as a rescue. Thanks to you and pinky, I'll now have no trouble identifying a rescue from another type of business.

Again, thank you all so much for your support and advice! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.