Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lets Talk About Local humane societys

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
I know you wanted to talk about rescues but I just wanted to vent a little.

I went to a small pet shop that I think specializes in reptiles( they had iguanas roming around the store and a HUGE pond for the turtles). At first it seemed pretty nice, as far as petshops go. Then I saw the guinea pig. He was a copper crested adult male. He was in kind of like an aquarium that you could reach in. There was one hidy house. Whell i was curious to see why he was huddled in a corner when he had a hidy house. So I lifted the house up and a chinchilla was under it!! It scared me so bad. I wasnt expecting it. Well i took pity on the guy and picked him up. It was then that I notice how long his front nails were. They were curled and mad his toes turn. It was so sad. When I put him back je imediatly went to the hidy house. And the chinchilla started fighting with him! The pig started chattering and backed up. He was obviously scared and confused by this larger rodent. I dont blam the chinnie but it was being so mean. They both shared the same food dish and that probably wasnt good for either of them.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Yeah. I saw that site. It was so sad. Its a good thing they took care of it.

Jennie&Steve

Cavy Slave
I just want to take a minute and say a word to stick up for humane societies. I agree that many times guinea pigs are overcrowded in places like that, but you have to remember that they usually have the animal's best interests in mind. They don't have unlimited space, and in my experience, they do their best to keep everyone healthy and comfortable. I volunteer at a humane society in my area, and I do my best to make sure the guinea pigs are happy there. They get their minimum requirements ... pellets, timothy hay, and the occasional veggie, but I like to bring my own treats with me when I go and spend some time with each piggie so that they get well socialized and will make good pets. I also try to show people who come through what loving and fun pets guinea pigs make. I strongly recommend that anyone who is not satisfied with the way their humane society cares for its animals volunteer with that shelter. You'd be amazed at what a difference you can make in the lives of those animals.

SDMarcum

Cavy Slave
I have no qualms with the humane societies out here in California. It's the freaking animal control I have problems with. They're supposed to protect people and animals and our property and they do nothing. Matter of fact they tell us if it's a problem to shoot the animal our selves. They will not come out to take the animal away in rural areas if you do not have it contained. I live next door to a lady who neglects her dogs and horses horribly. I do have to say the horses get fed and watered regularly now. But I know for fact the dogs don't. She let's them lose to hunt. She has 3 dogs. I feed my dog a b.a.r.f. diet and out side (or was feeding her out side) so as to not get the rug dirty and her one dog came over and attacked me when I was setting out my dogs food. My dog jumped in front of me to protect me and so I grabbed my dog and drug her in the house and that dog attacked the door for 5 minuets. I called animal control and they came out. And my neighbor said that I had been feeding the dog and so animal control did nothing and said if I had any more problems call them and they'll site her. But they couldn't do anything unless they dog was contained on my property. I'm sorry that's bullshit. Those dogs are dangerous due to how that lady is treating them. I've called them out several more times for the same sort of incidents and nothing has been done. I have to take care of it. They told me to get my guns out if the dogs are that much of a menace. And I live in the suburbs. WTF? Isn't it illegal to shoot a gun when your neighbors are less than 500 yards away from you? I don't get it? I contained the dog one time and they told me they weren’t going to be able to come out for 2 days. This lady's b/f has threatened to beat me up before over problems with these dogs because I asked them to keep them contained due to them chasing our cats, climbing on our cars and ripping up our gardens. AND WE HAVE FENCES they jump them. I'm at my wits end with these people. And what shocks me is they let these dogs kill their own animals? I watched them rip apart one of their kittens. And just last weekend I saw them kill 3 chickens. <sigh> Animal Control said sorry can't help. <steamed> I've gotten in touch with someone around her to come get them and all I here is promises. Oh yeah we'll come out. But I haven't heard anything. I'm so frustrated. I can't do anything because I'm scared to death of these people and I have to live next to them!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.