Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Lethargic piggy

PattyPie

Cavy Slave
This morning when I fed the boys their breakfast, Junior was not at all interested and didn't even come out of his pigloo. I haven't been able to get him to eat anything today and he is just kind of laying around. Our other boy, Fella is acting normal and eating so I took him out of the cage and put him in a makeshift cage by himself. (Fella is the dominant one and he definitely bosses Junior around) I've tried to entice Junior with water and apple slices to no avail. I'm not sure if he's pooped recently, as we have both boys in one cage.

I'm going to take him out in a bit and check him over myself, but what do I need to be looking for? Our pigs have always been in excellent health so this is very new to me. He is only two years old. And please trust that if he isn't doing better by this evening, we are going to a local emergency vet that treats guinea pigs.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Is he just lethargic? Any crusty eyes/nose, wheezing or heavy breathing? If you have some critical care on you, you can feed him that or a pellet mash but if he isn't pooping you don't wanna stuff more food inside of him if it wont come out.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
You could look for hair loss and feel for bumps/lumps. Check for anything that looks, feels, or sounds unusual. Listen to his breathing. Does he make any noises when he pees or poos? Any blood in his urine? Is it scratching a lot? Is he easy to pick up? Is he yawning a lot? Sleeping more than usual? Drinking more than usual? Eating less than usual? Those are all questions that could help you figure out what is going, and help the vet. And don't forget to weigh. Sometimes weight loss is the only symptom something is going on, and often the first real symptom that a piggie needs to see a vet. Good luck!! I hope nothing is wrong with you piggie!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If he's not eating, do you know how long it's been since he last pooped? If he has no intestinal blockage, then you need to be force-feeding him. See http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for instructions on how to do that. A pig that's not eating is a pig that's in danger of dying, and I for one wouldn't wait around until tonight to take him in.

He especially needs to see the vet if he's not pooping. You don't want to force-feed a pig that has an intestinal blockage. So if you haven't seen any poop, or if the pig is sitting hunched up in pain and his stomach seems painful, or if his stomach is distended and sounds hollow when you tap it, then go to the vet now.

Also, see if you can find a good exotic vet. Emergency vets don't always know how to treat guinea pigs. The fact that he does treat them may mean that he has some experience at it, but I'd call and ask before taking a very sick pig to him.

PattyPie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies! So far I haven't detected any other symptoms other than lethargy and no appetite but I'm going to go get him out right now and give him a once over. I removed the other pig and swept out the cage so I can tell if he has pooped and if so, what it looks like. Wish us luck!

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hope you get good news!! Good Luck!!

PattyPie

Cavy Slave
I don't know how long since he pooped since both boys are in one cage. He is snuggled in my arms now and not acting in pain, in fact he is stretched out. No lumps, bumps, cuts, etc. Eyes are clear. No different sounds.

I am taking him to see the lady that runs the rescue that where we acquired him. She is extremely knowledgeable and takes such good care of her rescues. She told me to give him some fresh grass in the meantime. (Which of course, he won't eat.) We have no exotic vets in our area and the ER vet does see guinea pigs but probably doesn't know as much as the rescue lady. I have no choice but to wait until this evening to take him however, I run a home daycare and can't just up and leave the kids alone.

Hopefully I'll have good news soon!

PattyPie

Cavy Slave
Okay after a day of not eating, drinking, or pooping we went to see the rescue lady. Pretty much as soon as she touched him, he started pooping! She felt of him and said yep, there's a lot of poop in there! She checked him tip to toe and the only thing wrong with him was that he was impacted. She helped him work it out and before we even left her house he was eating. That woman has the magic touch! She said emergency vets call her sometimes for gp advice!

Today he is acting completely normal! Thank you all for the helpful advice! I'm not sure why he was impacted -he's only two and has always been healthy. I'm just so thankful to have the rescue lady - she really is invaluable!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
As male pigs get older they loose some of the muscles in their bum that helps them poop. Some male pigs get impacted easier than others. You could probably clean his anal sac more often and that should help him not to get impacted.

PattyPie

Cavy Slave
Yep...or take him to see our friendly guinea pig lady...I am so afraid to hurt them!

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
As long as you are using a (ok, several) well-oiled q-tip (I use coconut oil, I know others use...mineral oil?) I think it would be hard to actually hurt them. Mine tend to seem more embarrassed than anything else. I've actually found that I often need to give them a clean once a week. This might be due to a high level of "dragging" action associated with their frequent dominance squabbles (one of my boys is going through puberty so there have been a lot of attempted power-grabs). I also might be extra aware of it because one of them likes to "mark" me. However, I think you can usually get away with doing it every three weeks.