Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Lethargic pig

Grandmaster

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone

My guinea pig has gotten sick this afternoon. He was okay around midday. I was at work but my family noticed that he started to get quiet and hide in the corner. I had both of my pigs out on the lawn in their run. He still isn't moving around much and hasn't eaten very much. He has been getting milky eyes too. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the problem could be? The vet is closed now.
Any help much appreciated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, we can't tell you what the problem is, but he's sick and needs to see a vet. If he's not eating but is still pooping, he needs to be hand-fed. Guinea pigs are engineered to need food moving through their guts at all times. Otherwise, they'll go into GI stasis (the gut stops moving), what's in there will ferment and cause gas, which may lead to bloat. Bloat is a medical emergency. See http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for how and what to hand-feed him.

Guinea pigs go downhill VERY quickly, and should be taken to the vet when you first suspect there's something wrong, especially if it involves lack of appetite and lethargy. Prompt treatment can often make the difference in whether a pig dies or lives.