Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Lethargic guinea pig

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
So, I think Fluff is getting better. The reglan seems to help her appetite and she's eating much more than usual. She went from a low of 1055 grams to her current 1080. She has stopped drooling as well. But, she's still pretty quiet, spending a lot of time in her house, so I am only cautiously optimistic.

I now have another question. In the hierarchy of the cage (2 pigs), Fluff is the boss. The two never fight, but Marshmallow has always deferred to Fluff whenever necessary. I've noticed that, since Fluff's been sick and hiding, that Marshmallow has been out and about a lot more than usual. Lying out in the open more often especially. I also noticed this in the past two days - she's laying in front of the hidey Fluff is in (not that I think Fluff has any burning desire to leave and she in no way chased her in there). Do you think this is a sympathetic action (trying to comfort Fluff) or is it an act of dominance because Fluff is weaker than usual? Should I do something about this?
Marshmallow.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's probably an act of dominance -- many people notice that when their dominant pig is ill, the subordinates seem to want to get off the reservation, as it were. If, and this is a big IF, Fluff either can't or won't get out of the hidey with Marshmallow lying in front, then I'd replace those hideys with some that have two holes in them so Fluff won't be trapped. (Actually, I think ALL hideys should have two holes, but that's another issue.) If Fluff isn't moving as much in general, you don't want her lying in her own wastes in the hidey because Marshmallow's in the door. But other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.

Once Fluff is back to normal, you can replace them. Or not, as you choose.

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
thanks for the advice @bpatters. I'm going to keep an eye on both of them and will substitute out the hideys if she starts to lay there a lot. I can't believe Marshmallow would try to usurp the top spot so quickly (although it is nice to see her out in the open so much); talk about kicking someone when they are down!

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
This is more of a general question, but I didn't want to start another thread since this is a question about the same pig. How long can you give a guinea pig Reglan? My bottle has no instructions, just a dose that says "give .3ml once or twice a day". She started on 7/30 and she was doing well after a day or two so I stopped giving it and she relapsed and the drooling came back. So I started up again and I've been giving it to her for about 6 days now and her appetite is so much better - probably about 75% of normal). Today I gave her a dose in the morning, but not at dinner. Is there any harm in continuing the Reglan once a day until she's absolutely 100%? I have barely made a dent in the bottle.

Also, Fluff's spot as top pig has been regained - she's spending much more time outside her hidey and I saw Marshmallow defer to Fluff twice; once when they both went for the pellet bowl and once when I filled the water bottle. So I'm much more optimistic that she'll make a full recovery. I was worried for awhile there.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I assume your vet gave her the Reglan? I'd call and ask how long it's safe to give it. I know that it can have pretty bad side effects in humans, but that's after months of treatment, not just a few days. I don't know how that would translate to length of dosage in guinea pigs.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
HA HA just did! I had tagged @bpatters before noticing the reply!

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
Thanks again @bpatters. I'll call the vet on Monday (yes, it came as a prescription from the vet). The only thing she said in office was to stop if she got diarrhea, no mention at all of timing; I thought it was odd that the directives didn't give a time frame so I'm hoping the answer will be "as long as needed".

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My Guinness has been on Reglan (Metoclopramide) for over a month now; it is very safe to use a few weeks. He just had his last dose yesterday so hoping he won't need to take it any longer. I am not sure of giving half the recommended dose though, that seems kind of pointless in my opinion- as you said she does seem to need it right now.

I would focus on keeping her healthy and getting her back to 100% then take the med away.

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
@Melissa123 That's encouraging - thanks for your post! The dosing instructions are a little loosey-goosey because it says to give it once or twice a day, so it's kind of half the recommended dose, but kind of not. Who knows? I'm just thrilled that it's taken away what we can only assume to be her nausea, encouraged her to eat substantial amounts again and allowed her to get some pep back in her step!

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Melissa123 That's encouraging - thanks for your post! The dosing instructions are a little loosey-goosey because it says to give it once or twice a day, so it's kind of half the recommended dose, but kind of not. Who knows? I'm just thrilled that it's taken away what we can only assume to be her nausea, encouraged her to eat substantial amounts again and allowed her to get some pep back in her step!

Very welcome! The Reglan has done wonders for my boy as well. He has bloat issues so it has helped keep his stomach moving wonderfully!

She sounds like she is on the way to being 100%. Glad she has a great piggy parent to nurse her back to health. Please keep us posted! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I just noticed this thread now. Are you going to Danada? When I have a more serious or perplexing issue with one of my guinea pigs, I sometimes get a second opinion from Dr. Borowiak at Animal Medical Clinic which is at the intersection of Blanchard and Naperville Rd. It's more expensive than Danada but Dr. Borowiak is very knowledgeable about guinea pigs and is very thorough with his exams. Sending positive thoughts your way.

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
Yes, @pinky - I've been to Dr. Wallach at Danada twice for this issue. I was initially concerned because there really has been no diagnosis other than to rule out teeth issues, bloat and anything else that you can eliminate based upon a physical exam. Thankfully, treating the symptoms seems to have worked for now. The Reglan is the treatment difference between the first vet visit and the second and it seems to be what is really helping her because as I said earlier, when I stopped it because the drool dried up and she seemed to be eating more, she relapsed within a day or two and the drool and lethargy returned. Once I committed to the Reglan over a period of several days, she is just looking, acting and eating better and better. I don't think I'm ready to stop using it unless I have to, because I'm afraid it I stop it too soon, she'll go back into decline.

I remember you mentioning Animal Medical Clinic to me once before and I've got it in the back of my mind should Fluff take a turn for the worse, but in her defense, Dr. Wallach has not really done many diagnostics beyond the teeth x ray (negative0 because she really felt that that would be overkill when fluids, vitamin C (and Reglan) might just do the trick

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
Just to update, I spoke to the vet today and she said that giving the Reglan for several weeks is not a problem, but she did say that if she's doing really well to try discontinuing it. I didn't give any at dinner today, and I'll see what happens if I skip tomorrow. I've been weighing daily, so I should know right away if I need to put her back on it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.