Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Let piggy see his departed friend

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
We will be sending our beloved Snickerdoodle over the rainbow bridge tomorrow. He's been living with a bladder stone, but the time has come.

His friend gets frantic whenever we take him out of the cage, running up and down squeaking like crazy. He got depressed when Doodles was in the hospital for 4 days, so we'll need to find him a friend soon.

Since we'll be taking Doodles to the vet tomorrow (we're administring a sedative at home) Tux will have no idea what happened. Would it be a terrible thing if I put Doodles in his cage for a few minutes before we bury him, would it help Tux undestand?

Every minute that passes kills me a little on the inside, I can't believe this day almost here.

I am so sorry for you having to go through this. I don't have the words ... but I know Doodles can tell how much you love him. I wonder if Tux already knows that Doodles is so close to the Bridge? Sending you hugs from us & our piggies!!

I'm so sorry you are going through this, it must be so tough.

Personally, I wouldn't. I don't believe it would be of any benefit for Doodles to see him. Once he is gone, he is gone, and I believe the lonliness Doodles feels when alone will be no less if he is shown the body of his deceased buddy. I feel like the questions we, as humans, come up with (Why is he gone? Could I have done something? etc.) are the sorts of things that being exposed to this would answer. I think Doodles is going to feel the loss, but without the additional, concerning issues/questions that tug at our hearts when we lose someone. I believe that for a pig, loss is loss, and I don't think seeing his friend dead would do any good. Many people have reported immediate physical/emotional effects that happen to the surviving pig, prior to the owner even discovering the dead pig. With that in mind, I just don't think the profound effect this could have would be beneficial.

All that said, it is really my personal philosophy on it. I am so sorry you are in this position, it sounds like you are an exceptional owner with only the best intentions. When the time comes I am sure you will do what is right for your boy.

While I have no advice to offer, I do want to give condolences on your impending loss. It's a tough decision to make.

I would let Tux remember his beloved friend the way he liked him best-healthy and happy. It is very sad and Tux will probably need a little time to adjust to life without Doodles but will be very happy to have a new friend. It sounds like you are making the best decision for Doodles. It's hard, I know. My heart goes out to all of you. Give little Doodle kisses from all of us. And Tux, too. He'll need a little extra love for a while.

Man, I feel for you. It's a tough decision to make, regardless of circumstances. It's always hard to lose a little furry one.

I personally wouldn't show your pig the deceased pig. He will probably cry for the other pig bc he is not in the cage but seeing the body is not likely to offer comfort to him.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. My condolences.

Thanks guys, I think you are right, it was an idea I had and I just want to do everything "right" over the next 24 hours, you only get one chance. I didn't want to find out that that might a common practice that we missed out on. My only concern was that Tux, who is very skittish, would think we took Doodles, and that might make him even more nervous about life as a pet. But I guess if we show him thebody he might think we killed him, also not ideal.

Thanks for the sentiments, I have an incredibly close bond with Doodles, this is going to be a rough one. I look forward to giving him all his fav veggies tonight, all those calcium rich ones he hasn't been able to have in a long time.

I'm at peace with the choice we made, but we're losing a family mwmber, and it's devastating. I'll share all the things that made him amazing in a future memorial post.

Thanks again.

Can I draw a picture of Doodles for you to print off?

I'm so sorry about Doodles. He knows how much you love and care about him. Saying goodbye is never easy. It's one of the hardest decisions you will ever have to make. Letting an animal out of their pain is the kindest most selfless act any human can do. My thoughts are with you :love:

Can I draw a picture of Doodles for you to print off?

Fizzle did this for me when I had to let Pedro go. It was so kind and thoughtful. I printed out the picture and have it hanging on my wall ❤️

I'm so sorry to hear about Doodles. I don't have any advice, other than when my Oliver died a week and a half ago, we never showed him to Scout. Scout was also never very upset, only a little more quiet because he was by himself. Then again, this could be because Scout is so laid back.
Good luck with Doodle's passing. Saying goodbye is never, ever easy, but at least you have the opportunity to say goodbye.

<3

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.