Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mounting lesbian guinea pig?

MamaSuki

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have had 2 female guinea pigs for a few years now. One is an offspring of the other. Both have given birth. Just recently, I notice that the younger one humps her mom-- a lot. Why is this happening? Is there something I should do?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There are no lesbian guinea pigs. The younger pig is either asserting her dominance over her mom or she's in heat.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
Oh my I thought I had heard it all!! Really? Lesbian GP's? I mean they all do this, males and females in the assertion of dominance. That was a funny title though.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes both males and females will mount to assert their dominance over others.

Last edited:

TallulahBear

Cavy Slave
My female dogs do that to each other the time as a power struggle. It's a dominance thing.

jordan

Cavy Slave
There are no lesbian guinea pigs. The younger pig is either asserting her dominance over her mom or she's in heat.

I know that this behavior is not about their sexuality and that it is about dominance, but how do you know that there are no lesbian guinea pigs?

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Wow, this is so funny. Many guinea-pigs do that to show who's the boss.

Well, since we explained this to you already, why on earth do you still think there are lesbian piggies?

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
I know that this behavior is not about their sexuality and that it is about dominance, but how do you know that there are no lesbian guinea pigs?

Guinea pigs and animals for that matter are different than humans. Their drive to mate is not based on looks/appearance or other qualities, it is based upon things such as strengthening a species (selective breeding) or just simply to provide offspring. There is no such thing as a homosexual animal.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs and animals for that matter are different than humans. Their drive to mate is not based on looks/appearance or other qualities, it is based upon things such as strengthening a species or just simply to provide offspring. There is no such thing as a homosexual animal.

And for all of the people who think their dogs are homosexual (like that expensive racehorse on the news a while back), they know nothing about animal behavior.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
While the instinct of an animal is to mate in order to further the species, I don't think that we can say that homosexuality absolutely doesn't exist in some aspect in at least some species. Homosexual Activity Among Animals Stirs Debate Also Google "homosexual penguins" for several accounts in a German zoo and Central Park Zoo recently

However in this case it's most certainly dominance :)

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
While the instinct of an animal is to mate in order to further the species, I don't think that we can say that homosexuality absolutely doesn't exist in some aspect in at least some species. Homosexual Activity Among Animals Stirs Debate Also Google "homosexual penguins" for several accounts in a German zoo and Central Park Zoo recently

I agree with this but would also again add one or both of them being in heat throws things all off too. Many female animals will mount each other when one is in heat, and it isn't necessarily a dominance thing at that time.

Piggly is I

Cavy Slave
My Black abby, pheobe used to do this. it is a thing for dominence, she is the alpha she gets to push her sister around. although i think its a funny way to show dominence it's ;ike," i'll pretend to mate with you because im da boss!"

jordan

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs and animals for that matter are different than humans. Their drive to mate is not based on looks/appearance or other qualities, it is based upon things such as strengthening a species (selective breeding) or just simply to provide offspring. There is no such thing as a homosexual animal.

I completely disagree, there have been numerous studies (not necessarily about guinea pigs) on homosexual animals.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave

Scientific America had a fantastic artical on this a while back. There are many animals who elect to choose same sex mates even when opposite sex partners are available and there are actually very clear reasons as to why this happens and why it's evalutionarily benificial to the species. Largely these behaviors are in birds, large mammels and I recall one species of lizard that's evolved to no longer have male members. That said I don't think any of the instances happened in rodents but for further reading see:

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(unfortunitely the latter artical which is VERY extensive I think you have to be a subscriber to get).

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I agree with this but would also again add one or both of them being in heat throws things all off too. Many female animals will mount each other when one is in heat, and it isn't necessarily a dominance thing at that time.

Good point. My girls don't mount each other, but yes, many have reported that their females do mount each other when in heat

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Largely these behaviors are in birds, large mammels and I recall one species of lizard that's evolved to no longer have male members. That said I don't think any of the instances happened in rodents but for further reading see:

I haven't read a ton on the subject, but the articles that I have read do seem to usually involve birds. I think it's fascinating.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
The point is that HER TWO guinea-pigs are most likely not homosexual. Not penguins, not other birds, not lizards, but her own pigs (although, you may be on to something). Suki, there's nothing you can do, really. Just wait it off.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Scientific America had a fantastic artical on this a while back. There are many animals who elect to choose same sex mates even when opposite sex partners are available and there are actually very clear reasons as to why this happens and why it's evalutionarily benificial to the species. Largely these behaviors are in birds, large mammels and I recall one species of lizard that's evolved to no longer have male members. That said I don't think any of the instances happened in rodents but for further reading see:

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(unfortunitely the latter artical which is VERY extensive I think you have to be a subscriber to get).
I completely disagree, there have been numerous studies (not necessarily about guinea pigs) on homosexual animals.

But this is not homosexuality, JD. You said so yourself by stating that it has to do with evolving the species. Jordan, jomosexuality is different than that because it tends to be based upon feelings and emotions such as love. Animals do not feel the way that we do, they are proven to have different emotions because of their "wild" hormones.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I'm human, and my hormones are plenty wild, thankyouverymuch, LOL.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
But this is not homosexuality, JD. You said so yourself by stating that it has to do with evolving the species. Jordan, jomosexuality is different than that because it tends to be based upon feelings and emotions such as love. Animals do not feel the way that we do, they are proven to have different emotions because of their "wild" hormones.

The definition of homosexuality is simply "sexual desire or behavior directed toward a person or persons of one's own sex."

If animals are choosing the companionship of another animal of the same sex, it is homosexual behavior. It's true that it's not on the same level as humans, but neither is heterosexual behavior in animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.