Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Towels Leptospirosis?

gui.pig.

Cavy Slave
will I get leptospirosis from my guinea pig's pee? I have an open wound in my finger and I want to wash the towels that she's using for her bedding... and I'm afraid that I might get it..

Cover your wound with antibacterial ointment and a band-aid. I would assume that if you stick your hand in a puddle of urine, you might contract something, but to get leptospirosis from your guinea, they need to have it. IF they have it, you could get it, but I would just suggest washing your hands after. Just use your common sense when dealing with guinea pig "products" and you should be fine.

:sad: oohh.. how would I know if my guinea pigs have leptospirosis?

I can't find anything on how to tell if they have leptospirosis, I would check with your vet to see if they know of a test for it.

I routinely read several guinea pig forums, and I haven't found a single case of a pig having leptospirosis. Not only that, but I can't find any by googling except those that were used in a research study.

Why on earth do you think your pig might have it?

BP, It's just a big inquiry I guess..:?: and like I said I'm new to this guinea pig as a pet.. and I just heard that rodents can pass leptospirosis that's why I asked here.. because I have an open wound and I clean their bedding daily.. so it made me ask what if I had contact with their urine and I have a disease like leptospirosis or something.. :?:

so yeah.. just a big question :):)

Nothing wrong with being curious and covering all your bases. It's very unlikely a guinea pig would carry the disease, but always wear gloves when you are handling bedding or cleaning the cage, especially if you have open wounds on your hands.

It's possible, leptospirosis can not only be found in rodents, but also in other domestic and wild animals like live stock, dogs, and raccoons. Animals are just carriers of lepto, it's mainly caused by bacteria. It is common in tropical temperate areas, usually where there is contaminated water. If you live in a very poor area and you think your pigs have drank filthy water or had contact with animals who have lepto, then it is possible that they do have leptospirosis. If you're still in doubt, you can always get a sample of pure piggy urine and have the vet check it out. :)

Well, just to be safe use this checklist:

-Wash hands with anti-bacterial soap before cleaning cage

-Add hydrogen peroxide to the wound

-Cover cut with bandage

-Cover hands with latex gloves

-Clean your cage

That should just about do it! You can never be too careful!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't use hydrogen peroxide on the wound -- it dries the tissue out and actually delays healing. And anti-bacterial soap does nothing except make it more likely that the bacteria will develop resistance to the anti-bacterial agent. There's been some discussion about banning it altogether, and I wish they'd hurry up and do it.

If you're worried about it, just wear gloves -- that's the safest thing for you.

Sorry! I had no Idea! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.