Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

learning to use a hay rack?

farmerpiggles

Cavy Slave
HI!

I have adopted 2 little girls yesterday (May 2) - they are so sweet and are still very shy. I don't think their previous "person" had a hay rack and I haven't seen them pulling hay out of it yet - they have been eating the hay out of their litter box I guess. Will they catch on? Is there anything I can do to prompt them to eat from the hay rack? anything we can do to make their transition into our home easier?

Thanks! very excited and love them already - my kids are over the moon about them :love:

Every pig I've gotten was very shy at the beginning and barely came out of their pigloos. Have you tried putting tufts of hay near their hiding spots?

After a few days I'm positive they'll come out and try everything else out, including the hay rack. No worries!

That's what I did, I gave them clumps of hay to hide in and eat at first. It makes the cage messy, but I had little guys and I wanted them to eat more than I wanted a tidy cage. Now that they are fat little men, I have the BB&B utensil holder as a hay rack in a kitchen and they do just fine. They'll get there!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.